London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
13 messages
23/10/2013 at 16:06

? Is it good for the soil and future harvests to dig in apples at this time

23/10/2013 at 16:10

Stick them in the compost heap ,mixed up with other stuff.. Chopping it up will speed decomposition.

23/10/2013 at 16:30

yep ,put them in the compost thats where they need to be,unless your making scrumpy.

AWB
23/10/2013 at 18:09

I place handfuls by the log pile,by the morning they are gone.

23/10/2013 at 18:30

Even if you make cider, as I do, there will always be rotten windfalls. If the fallen fruit is an eyesore for you, compost by all means.  Although left to rot, the apples provide a useful source of food for birds and other wildlife during the winter. One year, I read somewhere that leaving fallen apples where they drop sends some kind of message to the tree not to produce as much fruit the following year. Probably nonsense. Anyway, so I collected the unwanteds in a large pile (I had seven standard trees) to rot but that attracted rats from far and wide.

24/10/2013 at 06:11

I'd leave them out for the birds - blackbirds, redwings and fieldfares will thank you for them later in the winter 

24/10/2013 at 08:03

Blackbirds love them and I have a serious lack of them in this garden so I'll be putting some out specifically to attract them in. 

In frosty cold spells it's a great source of moisture for them too. I used to core them and then tie them to the base of a tree stake to make it easier for them to eat. It stopped squirrels running off with them as well!

24/10/2013 at 08:17
Rats. Oh no. Another job to do. Compost bin collapsed so I was going to leave it as a compost heap but its full of apples so I think it'll all be scooped back into a bin this weekend, come rain or shine !
24/10/2013 at 10:26

Thanks all.................I love this site

Not a sign of ......Its LIKE....or  OMG  or  ACTUALLY....or  LATERS !!!

27/10/2013 at 10:09

I've got a similar problem with pears, the tree is huge and so many windfalls.  I've Ben composting them but fear there may be too many in there now as its full of flies.

27/10/2013 at 10:53

Maybe need to turn your compost Tris, and also add some 'dry' material - straw/shredded paper etc to get a better balance and get it all mixed thoroughly. It'll gradually settle down. It happens when you add lots of wet material like grass cuttings too. I have an ordinary paper shredder so my bank statements and junk mail are now being put to good use!  

KEF
27/10/2013 at 11:47

I save the smaller apples and chop up for blackbirds. Only put them out in the morning so they've gone by night time.

17/11/2013 at 21:20

I've taken to 'spiking' the apples onto adjacent shrubs/ bushes where the twigs are strong enough to bear the weight ( + bird!). The blackbirds, thrushes, jackdaws etc etc seem to adapt to the 'kebab' presentation and keep coming back for more - seems to beat the rodent problem from occuring, so far.....??

email image
13 messages