Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fan trained Fig

Hi,

I have just bought a fig i want  to fan train on my south facing wall, should I prune it now or wait for it to establish?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Hi redkat image

Very helpful info re pruning figs and general cultivation here  http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/fig-trees-for-gardens-and-greenhouses/ 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

YEP, that's the best info ,note the restriction of the roots mind , and the new  root bags are just the job and not expensive if you want plenty of fruit later, i feed on Fish blood and bone, and when near to fruiting a good dollop of Potash to encourage the fruiting, and dont forget like Dovefromabove they do like a drink.imageimage

• redkatredkat Posts: 2

Thanks for the info, yes it is planted in a pot in the ground but I will definitely remember to get some fbb.

Right it seems I need to chop the poor little thing down now then, here goes....

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Any chance of a pic before you chop

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Have you got the wires in place for the training?  

Do not hack it down just yet.  Let it establish first.

I am going to start a society against the cruelty that is perpetrated on fig trees!