Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Favorite apple

Hello image A couple of the recent threads got me thinking, what is your favorite apple variety? Mainly for taste, but also for how well they grow. Am thinking off getting one or two more image For me its probably the good old cox or one of the cox types, a sweet apple but not mushy image

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

One that I haven't seen for years, Golden Russet.

• I have a apple called sunset, a good doer and tastes like golden delicious. Golden Delicious does not grow well here in the south west.

Egrement russet is also good but like pansy face stated its a personal choice how you like your apples to taste.

• You paint a lovely mental picture Pansyface! image. Ive got something like 19 fruit trees, i think 6 are apples, so should be ok as far as pollination goes, most of the apples wer brought on a whim with no consideration for type, the best one for taste is probably lord or lady lambourne, i cant remember which! image

Thanks for your opinions guys, keep em coming please! image

Edd, should have known you would say something like that! Do you eat them often? image
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

I love  'James Grieve ', but there are so many good apples.  Much depends where you live, when the late frosts might be, and - maybe the most important - what kind of apples do you like to eat?  Do you only want eating apples, or would you lie cooking apples too?  

• Just eating apples please Bookertoo, ive got two cookers and i give all the apples away! My OH loves those humungus fake looking red apples,so something like that could be worh a go. Something like a cox or what Pansy face said for me, i intend to have a look at all of the suggestions, im not familiar with some of them image
  • For me it's got to be discovery which is a lovely apple with a delicious flavour. If only getting a couple of trees you will need to match them so that they pollinate each other.  

• Wish i could remember the varieties i already have, one is a very late variety, stripey, there was still fruit hanging before the first frosts in november, all of tbe ones i have are ok, but nothing special, most of them were brought from the discount stores for around a fiver or in fruit tree collections. image
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

My favourite apples are toffee apples Bekkie image

• I cant find one of those trees BMimage
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554