Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Figs galore

Inherited this brown Turkey fig tree when we bought the house 18 years ago. Now a large bush and has produced a bumper crop this year. Running out of ideas what to do with them. Picked 8lbs the other day and could probably pick another 8 tomorrow if the weather dries up. 

Have made jams and chutends and a nice fig n walnut cake(Nigel slater). Frozen some for later use. Giving them away to willing neighbour's. Going to try grilled figs, honey and goats cheese tomorrow. 

Any other ideas gratefully received!

• sybillesybille Posts: 76

You are lucky, I had only 1 ripe fig this year. There are several staying put hard and green..... but lots of new (next years) ones.

You could dry them, it's nice for the winter!

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

We have a newish tree that is producing fruit for the first time - but like sybille's they are hard and green - is it too late for them to ripen this year?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Mine is also covered with figs, more than we've ever had before, but they're later than in previous years and still hard and green.

I'm wondering whether to remove them and hopefully stimulate the appearance of lots of little ones to over-winter and ripen next summer, or leave them on and pray for a long Indian Summer ........................ ???

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Let me know what you do Dove ......as a novice fig grower, I will followimage

Oh no!  The responsibility!!!!!!!!  And I've only been growing figs a few years, any real knowledge has been gained from watching former colleague who has now moved away!  Where's Alan 4711 these days?  He's always been a mine of information about figs?

I'm wondering about removing all of the medium to smaller ones and just leaving the larger ones that might ripen .......... that should stimulate the growth of some more little ones shouldn't it?   Decisions decisions ...............

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Is your fig in the ground Dove?

Hi Snoodle image  How's your new pet? image

No, the fig is in a square terracotta pot (about 20" x 20" x 20") the bottom of which was packed with chunks of polystyrene as the fig was quite small when we planted it. 

It'll need repotting within the next couple of years, but we knocked a garden chair over onto the pot and cracked it a while back, so I think when we do repot it'll need a new one image  Better tell Father Christmas image

• Older Snoodlet commented on the "pet" on the patio. seems to be settling in well image

I'm trying to figure out what fruit I'll be wanting to grow and where.  It'll be years tIl I do it all but will mean I can get one of two things in without having to rearrange everything in the future. Fig is on the list.  Perhaps a pot next to house south side. Or I could do in ground at back of garage. Ho hum.

Supernoodle wrote (see)

Older Snoodlet commented on the "pet" on the patio. seems to be settling in well image

I'm trying to figure out what fruit I'll be wanting to grow and where.  It'll be years tIl I do it all but will mean I can get one of two things in without having to rearrange everything in the future. Fig is on the list.  Perhaps a pot next to house south side. Or I could do in ground at back of garage. Ho hum.

Glad Older Snoodlet appreciates him image

I'd go for a pot on the south side of the house ........ and one at the back of the garage image  Why not? image

• Because there's lots of competition for the South facing garage wall slot!  Wanting mini kiwis and japanese wineberries on that. Then there the blackberries on side of garage, apricot on back of house, plus, raspberries, gooseberries, blueberries, strawberries,rhubarb, blackcurrants....think I'll be busy....

Would I need to fleece a fig in the ground?