London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
2 messages
14/05/2014 at 19:24

So I bought some of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291111186906?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I've planted some in big pots and some in concrete block pots - They have had flowers in them before we moved here, but they died around year ago. 

I planted them so that the crown isn't covered and they look like I've done it correctly... 

So I want to know if there is any tips you can give me/advice for growing and maintaining the plants? Thank you for reading!

14/05/2014 at 20:56

Strawberries are usually fairly easy in my experience. Good free draining soil/compost but as they're in pots,  watch they don't go short of water as some varieties can get a bit of mildew. Birds often like to pinch the fruits so you may need to protect them with netting later on. I give mine a good feed in spring and then pretty much leave them to it, but in pots you may want to give them a little extra food now and again - something like tomato fertiliser - just to give them a bit of help. You can take the runners off them later in the year to make new plants - it's quite easy to do.

In the meantime - enjoy growing them - and eating them! 

email image
2 messages