Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fruit bushes and trees

Hi, when is the best time to move fruit bushes and the best time to plant fruit trees.

•  Hi nikki, the best time for both of those things is when the bushes and trees have dropped their leaves and are dormant.  This is usually from about November to February, which is also the time frame in which suppliers deliver bare-root fruit trees.  Trees sold in pots can be planted at any time of the year though.  In either case, avoid doing anything if the ground is frozen or waterlogged.

What type of fruit bushes are you going to move?  Some things are easier than others and we may give different advice depending on what they are.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I am also wondering about this as I am giving a blackcurrant and redcurrant bush, should I prune them first and by how much before I dig them up and pass them on

• Hi Bob, thank you for your reply. I have blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes at the moment and looking to plant gooseberry bush,apple, pear and cherry trees. I also had no fruit on the bushes this year.

• The dormant season is the best time to move them however each time you move fruit trees be aware you will put them back a season for fruiting. All bare rooted trees/plants generally will need a year to re-establish before they start to fruit properly. We actually recommend removing fruit buds the first year of planting so the newly planted fruit trees put all their effort into producing a good root structure which in turn means a stronger tree that crops more efficiently.

With regard to pruning if possible avoid pruning newly planted bare rooted trees and wait until the following year.

Remember if planting bare rooted trees/plants do not plant using manure or garden compost as this can burn the new white roots that will be trying to form.

If planting pot grown trees/plants then plant keeping as much of the existing soil from the pot around the roots. Disturb the roots and pot soil as little as possible.

deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk

• Agree with Deacons about the trees.  For red/blackcurrant bushes, see this thread:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/fruit-andamp-veg/moving-blackcurrant-bush/5630.html

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Hi all, just a quick query that i hope you might be able to help with. at the start of October i dug up the many suckers of my mums mature fig tree and potted them all up hoping that they would grow over the winter (but in a relatively dormant fashion) however due to the mild weather we've had they have all started to put out new leaves. if this was spring i would be ecstatic that my figs where clearly happy and growing however im well aware that the cold is now upon us and that figs loss their leaves in the winter. what should i do with them??? take the new leaves off? bring them all inside? just leave them and hope the cold gets them to behave in a more autumn fig like manner? i really dont want to cause them any unnecessary stress but i dont want them to die either.... any advice would be gratefully received.