London (change)
Today 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
9 messages
05/02/2012 at 08:40

can any one tell me the best type of raspberries, and also how to grow them 

05/02/2012 at 09:43

Autunm Bliss is a nice one, quite easy to look after just give it a good bit of space plently of sun and good living and it fruits on this years wood so just cut back to ground level each spring.

05/02/2012 at 14:27

thanks mate 

20/04/2012 at 15:57

Help please just bought a raspberry bush and a blackcurrant bush advice please on how to erect canes

thank you

Rena

20/04/2012 at 22:55

Daisy7 / Rena, your blackcurrant won't need canes, it will support itself.  The raspberry will grow thin canes 3 - 4 feet long and if you don't support them they flop over.  Although I find it's an advantage to let the canes flop a little bit as the fruits are then hidden under the leaves and the birds don't see them.  If you only have one plant you can put in bamboo canes and tie each rasperry cane in separately.  If you have a row of rasps you can put in 2 strong supports at each end,of the row, one each side, and attach strings along the length of the row, one each side, so the raspberry canes are supported inside them. 

Don't know if that made sense, someone else might have a picture to illustrate it. 

21/04/2012 at 11:59

i dont have a garden as i live in a flat. but i have been given permission to use the space behind the sheds. this is great for me, but everthing has to be in pots. some things i have done before, runner beans peas broadbeans, i am trying small carrots and shallots, but i would like to do raspberrys, blueberry, gooseberrys. does anyone know if they will like been grown in pots/

21/04/2012 at 17:32

I've done raspberries in pots and they were fine. You need really big pots though and must keep them well fed and watered. Eventually they got vine weevel and had to be treated.

03/05/2013 at 21:02

Hi, I have been given 1 x Raspberry bush 1 x Redcurrant bush & 1 x Blackcurrant bush . They were dug up from a neighbours garden and look pretty wild. Is it worth planting them and if so what conditions do they like. I really dont have a clue but would like to give it a go.  I am a novice with a largish garden to fill.

03/05/2013 at 22:04

My blueberries are in pots as they need ericaceous compost. Last year was their first year, and I had some fruit, this year I already have flowers.

I also have some autumn raspberries variety 'Polka'. Very tasty, large fruit and still picked a few berries in November. They don't need staking

I understand you can grow gooseberries in pots and can train them to be standards

email image
9 messages