London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
6 messages
19/04/2013 at 19:34

Just before Christmas last year, I asked if anyone had overwintered rhubarb in a pot and if so could anybody give advice on the best way to do it.  I had several replies and one or two asked me to let them know if I succeeded.  Well I am pleased to say that my rhubarb is alive and well and I am looking forward to picking it in the Autumn.  For some reason I have lost all my threads so am having to start again, but wanted to tell those who were interested that I did manage to keep the rhubarb going (not sure how though) but I was so pleased to see the new shoots.

19/04/2013 at 19:37

Glad to hear it Lavenderlass - but I would hope you get a crop before the autumn - I stop picking mine in the midsummer to let the crowns build up. 

19/04/2013 at 22:48

hi lavenderlass im picking mine now and in the winter when it disapears in the pot i just put some fleece over it and forget it works every time.well done to you

20/04/2013 at 10:53

You clever lass....Lavenderlass.You need to pick it now(rubarb crumble, here I come!)

Autumn is its time for rest. Give it a covering of spent compost and some feed then and a cover if weather gets bad. Then in spring when it shoots up again, put a large dust bin to cover them and you will get tender, young sticks by April/May(earlier crumble...yummmm) Good luck & enjoy.

20/04/2013 at 11:50

Mine not quite ready for picking, but soon - indeed, pies and crumbles to warm the cockles in the evening, before the morning gardening! Yum.  Anyone tried rhubarb jam? Does it set or need apple or something to get it to do so?

20/04/2013 at 22:43

bookertoo i want to try making that how about chutney any ideas

email image
6 messages