Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

fruit tree blossom

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of fruit tree which I planted close to my estabished  ones.this is the first year they have blossomed the question is should I protect this week with bubble wrap as a fleece as cold windy weather expected or leave nature to take care.?. They are reasonably sheltered by hedge and fence one is a plum the other apple.I did have hover bees around last few days. 

cloudy today no frost

Kev in oulton broad suffolk.

• hi kev

if your trees are small enough put some garden fleece on them not plastic bubble wrap which will hold the wet and freeze. If they are too large for this you will have to let nature take its course. Also you will need to take the fleece of during the day and put it back in the evening so the bees etc. can still get to the pollen.

Chrissy

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

I would hand polinate too with a paintbrush or feather dusty. I have mine ready to go. I don't protect my trees though. They've been fine in the last four years but it is an odd year, as usual, image

• ok thanks Chrissy ,Jim,

a real hard frost here this morning but sun is up so should soon warm up, good idea with the artist brush worked well with chilli's in our porch never croossed my mind with the new trees I'll give it go.

cheers Kev.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

This is how I've sheltered my dwarf apricot tree during the momentary cold spell!image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Snug as a bug in a rug image  My fig's been wrapped up too - I usually don't worry about it through the winter, but the little figs started to swell last week and I don't want them to get damaged by the frost! 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• dovefromabove you asked me what kind of bug well I don't know as last year my plum tree had brown marks on the leaves and I found little red insects on the bottom of the leaves(like a littleladybird type ) so this year iv changed the soil in in the container so now the buds are starting to show I want to protect the tree

• I would cover them up with fleece over night and take it of during the day. They can get damaged and you can lose all the flowers