London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 11°C
7 messages
26/03/2013 at 22:27

I am rather ashamed to say that I had a Thai Curry 'Ping' this evening, only ashamed as I normally make my own but had one hell of a week so far and couldn't be bothered...I was looking at the ingredients list and it said 'Garlic Shoots'. I tried the curry...which was rather good and loved the shoots too. My question is...how do you grow the garlic shoots? Is the clove harvested before it produces the bulb or is it something very different? I have never seen or heard of this before tonight. Does anyone know and has anyone grown them???

26/03/2013 at 22:31

It's the green foilage they grow, but it's harvested before it stiffens, also called Garlic Scapes

26/03/2013 at 22:53

Ah, brilliant. So its very young garlic cloves that have started growing?

26/03/2013 at 23:06

No it's the very young garlic foilage, the green stuff that grows on top of the bulb

28/03/2013 at 02:58

Hi all, the scape is the curly shoot of the galic plant that is thicker than the leaves and if not cut off forms a flower.when you cut the scape off you send the energy to the bulb and get bigger garlic.Ta debra

28/03/2013 at 08:45

Hi Sam, this time of the year I have a pot that I filled chock a block with fat garlic bulbs in OCTOBER. I then bring the pot indoors in March and use the "shoots" as "garlic shoots". You can use garlic cloves from the supermarket. I put the pot outside in summer and if we get hot weather I do get some "scape" too. These are more intense and I use them in the same way.You can use supermarket garlic cloves as they are OK for this purpose and not for growing garlic for bulbs.

After 2-3 years the cloves are exhausted and get straggly. I then start the process all over again. These "garlic shoots" can be bought in certain supermarkets but are rather pricey.I feel that the effort is worth it as the shoots do take the taste of the curry to "another level" as it were.! I learnt this trick when I lived in Malaysia for several years.

I hope you wil have a go at growing them and good luck

31/03/2013 at 22:40
Ahh. Cool folks. Thankyou. I will def be havin a go now very helpful.x
email image
7 messages