London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
7 messages
25/02/2014 at 16:16

Is there any truth in the advice that I received at the Garden Centre this morning when I bought some extra garlic to plant. 'You should not plant garlic and onions together, or where leeks have been?' This year I am trying garlic in pots as per Chris Beardshaw recommendation as a trial, but I thought Garlic were the same family as onions - so why not plant them together?? Any ideas.

25/02/2014 at 17:04

I know of no reason why they shouldn't be planted together 

It wouldn't be a good idea to follow a crop of onions with a crop of garlic, as they are from the same family, use the same nutrients and are susceptible to the same pests and diseases - so good rotation means that you should not follow one crop with another of the same family , but I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't plant them together - in fact I know a garlic farmer who grows onions in the other half of the garlic field. 

25/02/2014 at 18:13

I've never heard that one either - I have onion sets that I planted in the autumn in one raised bed, and garlic planted at the same time in the next bed, with a path of only a couple of feet between them.  I wonder whether one is more greedy than the other and removes the nutrients faster, leaving the other one short?  Or if one attracts a pest that it can cope with better than the other?  That's the only sense I can make of it.  If you google it and find the answer, let us know!

25/02/2014 at 18:56

I've heard of not planting onions near beans, but , as has been said, garlic / onions are in the same family. Can't see the problem planting them together. Maybe , as Dove says, the GC person meant, don't grow where the other was last year?? who knows.?

26/02/2014 at 10:27

They must have been getting confused with crop rotation

27/02/2014 at 15:01

Checked again - 'Don't grow garlic in the same place as onions grown the year before as rust possible in garlic' -I did indeed get rust on last year's garlic, but am still eating the cloves - did not seem to be affected below soil. Asked Leek Man at Market this morning, and he said don't mix them up together apart from Rose Garlic which is hardier apparently - Keep a good gap between them and infill with carrots (To avoid Carrot Fly I assume)

28/02/2014 at 11:06

Every crop rotation plan ever produced, including those by the RHS, garden experts etc, show garlic and onions being grown together.

As far as rust goes, spread out your crop rotation by at least 3 or 4 years to avoid a build up. A one year gap is not enough because the spores overwinter in the soil.

email image
7 messages