Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Garlic

Is there a problem with my garlic, it has a lot of yellow leaves

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Mines similar but prehaps with less yellow leaves, the ground looks very dry could be lack of water. I was going to water mine then put a mulch of compost down.

Did you plant last year? I did two lots one in October, one in February, the latter started in modules and these have all green leaves.

Sorry doesn't really answer your Q...someone else may have a better answer though.   

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Ours looks similar - we're not worried about it image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• No expertNo expert Posts: 415

Sowed on November 16th.

If you're nolt worried Dove neither will I.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Hello , planted mine last year and a few leave are yellow , me thinks it lack of water , so I have started watering themimage

As long as it's only the tips and/or the oldest leaves it should be fine. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Yes it is , thanks for the info image

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Mine look similar too!

I ought to add that this is the first time we've grown garlic (strictly speaking this is the Under Gardener's garlic), but a friend is a garlic farmer, and  his garlic fields  look like this image

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Both my onions and garlic have these too - not much but a bit, and yet all the signs are they are bulbing up nicely at the base, so I am not too worried, but think it is interesting that on these threads people are often having the same experiences - must be something to do with the weather conditions.

• Bf206Bf206 Posts: 234

The recent rain has perked my garlic up significantly. It was starting to look distinctly droopy with the yellowing you describe. Ok, my fault for not watering more but hopefully no harm done. I also put some onion fertilser around each plant and that, combined with the rain, has made a massive difference. Leaves look much greener, plants are more upright etc.