London (change)
Today 7°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
10 messages
14/02/2013 at 20:23

HELP!!!!!!  

1- is best to geminate in the dark or light (I was thinking in my boiler cupboard covered with cling film in soil)?

2- When do they need to come into the light after germination?

3-Is this the same for veg and flowers.   

4- I have Hyacinths in large pots they are doing very well they are a good 6/7inchs flowers are out when can I put these out?

Sorry for being so dumb

Being a first time gardener is so confusing so many different sites say all different things. 

Thanks in advance

14/02/2013 at 20:29

What do you want to germinate Jinty?

14/02/2013 at 20:31

Some seeds need heat some dont-some need light to germinate- again some dont-what they all need is good light to grow on so once germinated into the light or you will have weak straggly plants

Applies to veg and flowers but you need to be more specific-and where are they going after germination-do you have a greenhouse-is it heated?

The hyacinths can go in the garden -once the flowers are finished

So pop back wiith a bit more info

14/02/2013 at 21:17

Hi Jinty Its very confusing at first just read the seed packets they give help like needs light or germinate in dark / when to sow/ etc you must.always take them out of the dark and uncover when seedlings show they need light to turn green and grow. Its still early to start sowing most seeds they need better light levels or they grow thin and spindly  again read the backs of seed packs dont be tempted to sow all the seeds you can always sow somw more  later and keep the empty packets you can then go back to them for planting out help. Good Luck and enjoy growing You will soon et the hang of it  and there is always someone on here to help 

14/02/2013 at 22:06

Thank you everyone who would have thought it would be so hard!

Chillies

Coriander

Parsley

Basil

Peppers

Tomato

Chives

Garlic chives

I have my potatos in an egg box untop of fridge chatting to grow in bags

I had these in the boiler cupboard some are spindly do I need to start again? 

I live in the west of Scotland. I have one of those 4 tier plastic greenhouse unheated.

Wish i had found this site before i started!!

14/02/2013 at 22:27

oh ment to ask.. can  i not put the pots outside  with the  Hyacinths ?

14/02/2013 at 22:53

Chillies, basil, peppers and tomatoes will need warmth and light to grow properly, not frostproof.

Once the hyacinths have flowered as indoor plants you can plant them in the garden, where they will flower later in spring next year, but probably not as strongly. 

14/02/2013 at 23:09
Being in Dumbartonshire I'd have thought possible temperatures similar to myself, I'm Scottish border . I can't put pots outside until may /June. I have a greenhouse unseated and start seeds off indoors on windowsills at steady temp, turning them daily for light etc. not ideal but it does work for me.
We still have some winter ahead yet up north, could you put your herbs on kitchen window sill ? Do you have one that gets some sun ?
15/02/2013 at 00:29

Those potatoes should not be chatting in the cupboard.  Get them out and chitting in the light, in a cool place.

15/02/2013 at 14:07

I think Jinty that you need to hold back a bit and perhaps start the tender stuff again in a few weeks a plastic green house is fine but the temperature is variable in the early part of the season-cooking with the sun on it one minute and then cold the next-not ideal and not much frost protection either

You can't put you plants in it until April or so and even then they will need some protection.

No point in jumping the gun-there is plenty of time

email image
10 messages