London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
5 messages
09/11/2013 at 21:22

The soil/compost was changed this year in the GH bed.

The jury's still out on what to grow in the bed next year but certainly toms and cues. I unsucessfully tried to grow some tender bean varieties this year and will no doubt try again, as I've seeds left over.

I've got mushroom compost, well rotted muck or home grown compost. Not sure what to do with the bed now by way of preparing it for next year, advice welcome.

09/11/2013 at 21:45

I would say add lots of compost mix it all it nicely

I like watching the video on the link below, helpful to watch some of his other videos

This youtube videos he uses rockdust to help improve the soil and he uses farmyard muck so I am sure if you add lots of muck it will help 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QfefY1ksLc

10/11/2013 at 10:07

The rickvan man channel is quite entertaining.He is obviously a beginner in the gardening area, but his presentation skills, as a one man presenter, cameraman, soundman, etc, are really good.perhaps if the beeb are looking for new talent, they could combine someone with good gardening techniques, with someone with good presentation skills.

10/11/2013 at 16:45

Just watching some more of rick van man videos of his allotment it is interesting seeing how someone does their plot

Just right Fidgetbones - great to watch

Also rick visits sean from the Horticultural channel they did have a few shows I watched before with youtube members and their allotments  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diwGs3-9wd4&list=SPjCwS47QgGLp1wSM9lIYjEBlFy8FFQVOK&index=22

Think I need to improve my veg soil so may try rockdust maybe have to look it up

11/11/2013 at 20:54

I used rockdust this year Next door has not been gardened for 10 years, the   veg patch  was in a poor state , and  i read about research being done all over the world about remineralistion. It improves yield everywhere except the West Australian wheat belt. They are on practically pure sand with no worms. Where it is mixed with fibrous matter such as FYM  and worms work it, it seems to work very well. Certainly this year we had the best yields ever, taking account of it being a good year, but I have been here over 20 years, and it was still the best. I put a shovel full on per square yard. I bought it in a tonne bag , delivered on a pallet. It is about a fifth of the price per kg, than buying small bags from B&Q. Also I use calcified seaweed (maerl) instead of lime, for any patch that needs liming. I am trying to get the whole soil system into good productive  soil. Sweet peas seem to benefit too.

email image
5 messages