London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
5 messages
22/09/2013 at 22:53

My raised bed took a bit longer to build than I expected so my peas were sown a bit late, but since everything was apparantly running late this year I decided to chance them anyway. The variety is Hurst green shaft from Fothergills which are supposed to grow to about 30" / 75cm.

They have grown really well but not without problem, the plants are about 1.4m tall now, almost twice as high as the support sticks I put in. I have already extended with some longer sticks and run some string lines between, but the stormy weather last weekend flattened the tops above the top of the supports. Amazingly very few stems were actually severed and although twisted and tangled they have recovered amazingly and put on more strong growth.

Flowers appeared a couple of weeks ago and despite the setback even more have appeared and some are turning to pods - whether they will mature now before the frost comes would seem to be a gamble, but what I really want to know is if this excess growth is normal?

Have my peas gone crazy because the 'soil' in my raised bed is 100% compost, or is it because I sowed them so late they have put all their energy into getting higher instead of producing flowers and peas, or have I ended up with a different variety than it says on the packet - or something else?

23/09/2013 at 00:32

I have always found that peas exceed their stated height.

23/09/2013 at 06:18

Sarah Raven's site says they grow to 4 ft. although other sites agree with you about 30"

23/09/2013 at 15:12
Hi Boater we also chose those peas and they were about 4.5 feet high ,the peas were just fantastic heavy crop, brilliant taste , were sold on them for next year,i fed very weak nettle tea just for starters then left them,good peas
23/09/2013 at 22:58

Thanks folks, I think next year I will make sure my supports are 1.5m high to be sure!

Had a look at them tonight and found more pods coming through so I might just get a crop before the frost does for them, it has definitely warmed up over the last few days which is a relief!

email image
5 messages