London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
14 messages
03/08/2013 at 11:15

I bought a globe artichoke cynara scolymus for £1 from the bargain basement in a good GC. i had seen the 5foot one in the main sale area for £24.

I'm  not a veg grower and wanted this as an ornamental perennial in the border (ill find room).

Can anyone advise what to do with now?

Should it be kept in the greenhouse, coldframe,planted out?

I couldnt find much info online so your help will be greatly appreciated.

03/08/2013 at 11:28

Mrs Garden

Am I right in thinking that you live in God's Own Country and not only that but in Steel City? Eh up!

I now live in the Peak District but it's not a lot different in climate from Sheffield, unless you are near the city centre.

I tried to grow globe artichokes but the snow killed them off repeatedly. I don't think they need help in summertime but the wet, cold winters do for them. They grow so huge and their roots go down so deeply that it would be near impossible to dig them up for the winter.

I'd say put it somewhere that doesn't get cold winter winds or a lot of snow lying. Other than that, I'd say grow cardoons.  They look almost the same in the flower and I have a bunch of them in a corner and they must be 8 feet high and no bother at all.

03/08/2013 at 13:19

Thanks waterbur, can see you've replied but can't read iy yet due to gremlins!

03/08/2013 at 13:25

There you are waterbuts, when I post it updates, a trick to remember.

Yep I am indeed in sunny steel city.

The globe is still in its pot so can protect it anywhere, you think sheltered outside is best?

03/08/2013 at 17:18

Yes sheltered outside is best. When young I stick them near the house wall in the sun to grow on during winter.

03/08/2013 at 17:27

I bought 2 of these a few years ago.  They make very attractive plants but take up a lot of room.  I ended up digging mine up to be honest.

03/08/2013 at 17:29

Sorry didnt finish .......mine were in full sun and they were outside all year.  They die back in the winter but come back in spring.  They survived heavy snow and cold conditions.  

03/08/2013 at 20:04

Ground control to Major Tom, I feel I've been hurled off into outer space. Only get to communciate with you lot every 6 hours or so.

Maybe Norfolk snow isn't as cold and miserable as Yorkshire snow, Lindylou, or maybe it's the clay soil up here. 

Anyway, treat it with lots of tlc and you might be lucky.

03/08/2013 at 21:09

Ay up mi duck, what 24 squids for a big plant? Ow much?

Next door grew a row from seed. They didn't know what to do with them, so they let them go to seed. The bees really love the flowers.  Allow a sq metre of space, and let it go. If you've only paid a quid what have you got to lose?

Steel city usually a couple of degrees colder than here in Robin Hood country, , just north of trent, but they should be OK in average winter.

05/08/2013 at 18:54

thanks all of you.

i will keep it in it's pot until spring so i can move it about, sunny spot until summers finished then near house wall in autumn and finally in garage (plenty of light) when it gets frosty and snowy.

i think ive got it right?

Fidget - i have a whole £1 to loose, dosh is ard t'cum by up 'ere int north tha knows!

05/08/2013 at 19:30

Tha might be spozzy, tha never knows!

05/08/2013 at 19:35

Spozzy? We dunt av spozzy ere, woz tha on abaht?

05/08/2013 at 20:44

Sheffield and tha' dunt know spozzy? - gie ower! As in "that spozzy b*****d's won t'lottery agean!"

06/08/2013 at 09:16

I'll add it to the dictionary, but no def not a sheffield saying.

email image
14 messages