London (change)
Today 18°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
18 messages
15/07/2012 at 08:02

Having recently moved house, we have inherited a Bramley apple tree. There is only so much apple sauce and so many apple pies you can eat. We already give a lot away but there is still a glut. Is there anything else to with the excess apples?

Thank you.

15/07/2012 at 09:30

Hi Hudson Belle.

I wish I lived near to you I would gladly buy a stone or two.They are the most wonderful apple. I have a small tree in the garden but it is a young tree and only just beginning to fruit to any sense. I buy Bramleys when I see them for sale on the roadside, try putting a for sale sign out I am sure you will have no trouble getting rid of them, cook and freeze them for winter, Apple crumble.delicious!.

15/07/2012 at 09:33

Thank you, freezing looks a good option.

15/07/2012 at 10:19

Core them and fill with dried fruit and the amount of Syrup you need to sweeten to your taste, bake in the Microwave until soft. Allow to cool and then freeze, They only need 2 minutes in the micro-wave to reheat and served with whatever you like from Custard to Creme Fraiche or even like me Soya cream they are lovely.

15/07/2012 at 12:11

Hi again.

Make apple and blackberry jam, or apple chutney. There are plenty of recipes for apples on the internet. Enjoy!!

15/07/2012 at 16:48

They are extrardinarily early, are they fully ripe?  The book says picking time is mid-October.

15/07/2012 at 17:01

I thought that as wellthis must be last years crop that is being discussed surely-all the reports have been that this year's apple crop will be poor -I am puzzled and confused-there are no ripe English apples on any trees now to my knowledge.

15/07/2012 at 17:38

I  assumed that the fruit was now on the tree, still growing and going to be harvested in the Autumn, God and weather permitting!, perhaps I am wrong.  Mine certainly aren't ready. Perhaps Hudson Belle will tell us! We have a reasonable crop of apples coming on.

15/07/2012 at 17:42

But then Hudson Belle says she has recently moved- inherited the tree and already given a lot away-and made apple sauce and apple pies-can't work that bit out-please Hudson Belle come back and explain

16/07/2012 at 12:39

I too usually have a glut of apples, and apart from giving some away, I make apple muffins,  They can be flavoured with many other ingredients.  Apple sorbet is very nice too, and can be made without a machine.

16/07/2012 at 17:19

Damn I was hoping this mysterious post would have been cleared up by now!

Come back Hudson Belle!

18/07/2012 at 01:23

I think you can forget it now.  Perhaps Hudson Belle was talking about windfalls, though it is early for those too. If she is picking grossly under-ripe apples she will learn for next year.

18/07/2012 at 07:17

Glad it wasn't only me that was confused. Wouldn't a glut of bramley apples be so nice. We've none on our two year old tree this year

18/07/2012 at 19:28

I'm lucky enough to have had better weather than most of you poor souls but even my apples aren't much bigger than a golf ball yet. 

If Hudson Belle is really inundated - and who are we to say otherwise - then I would suggest after making pies and puddings to make apple juice.  I chop my glut of apples - skin and core included - and cook until really soft and mushy with just enough water to cover.  Then scald an old pillowcase (which I use for the job) for 15 mins to kill any germs and then upend a chair on the kitchen table and attach the pillowcase to the four corners with string.   Put a large clean pot under the pillowcase to catch the drips. Empty the apple into the pillowcase and cover everything to keep out flies.  Go to bed - or out for the day if you do it in the morning.  Anyway, just leave it alone.

In the morning you have a pan of beautiful apple juice.  Don't be tempted to squeeze the pulp - you'll just get cloudy juice.  Put the mush on the compost heap and reheat the juice to just boiling.  You can add sugar to taste if you like at this time.  Probably best to with just cookers but I don't usually add sugar as I use mixed apples.  Pour the hot juice into hot sterlized bottles or jars and seal immediately.  I use most of my juice to make jams as it is the best source for pectin. It will store really well.

18/07/2012 at 20:08

Perhaps Hudson Belle does not live in the UK?-she cannot be inundated here??

26/06/2013 at 16:14

add sugar, yeast and make wine

26/06/2013 at 20:25

If you look at the posting date of the original question it was asked in the middle of July 2012 which is a reasonable time for Bramleys to be coming into use.

KEF
26/06/2013 at 20:50
Berghill wrote (see)

If you look at the posting date of the original question it was asked in the middle of July 2012 which is a reasonable time for Bramleys to be coming into use.

Oh, 2012..I was going to say Cider, cider, and apple juice with alcohol in

email image
18 messages