Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gooseberry crop

artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I have never seen a crop like it' 3.5 seed trays from one bush; combined weight 11.5 kilos. Sadly this bush has to go to make way for globe artichokes, (there is a limit to how much gooseberry fool you can eat!) I am going to be making wine with this lotimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Good choice artjak. They make the best wineimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Nut, hi; have not made goosegog wine before, am now going to look up a recipeimage

Nut, do you have a good recipe for this?image I have looked at loads on line and they seem to vary terrifically which is a bit worrying.

I now have 22litres of gooseberry wine stewing awayimage

• Yep, we had the best crop ever too. But the downside is the weight of fruit on some stalks meant they have broken off, also the lower branches have ended up laying on the ground and been attacked by slugs(another thing that seems to be having its best year ever!).

I grow gooseberries surrounded by pea shingle over a weed suppressing membrane which seems to avoid slugs and snails; also good for Hostasimage

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..^I do the same artjak...shingle over weed membrane...my bush is young so didn't get anything like yours..very impressed... how tall is your bush? now long has it been in the ground please...? mine has only been planted for 1 year...

• Thanks for th advice.  Most of my crop will go towards making jam - I put them in with strawberries and raspberries and they help it set without affecting the overall flavour.

• Stacey DochertyStacey Docherty Posts: 1,759

I had an excellent crop and then the blackbirds and saw fly got to mine..... Just posted this on forkers went to work this morning and ironically thought how the red gooseberry bush was looking great ..... Came home to

Almost gone image not my year 

Salino, it was about 6 or 7 years old at least, about 1 metre tall and was pruned quite hard every year. It has now been chopped right down, preparatory to digging it up as need space for Globe artichoke. I have a red gooseberry bush which I prefer and 2 other green ones that are espaliered in an amateur sort of way. They don't get so much sun, but produce enough for my needs.image