London (change)
Today 19°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
8 messages
17/08/2013 at 16:39

I have just been given a foot high potted black grape vine and don't know where to plant it,green house or garden.The trouble is I live in Yorkshire is it too cold?

17/08/2013 at 16:41

Which variety is it Sadie?

17/08/2013 at 17:50

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29466.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

My grapes are planted outside on two south facing walls. This one is behind the garage so gets reflected warmth from two walls and a gravel path . On a summer evening the warmth is there longer - even on a damp overcast day like today. if you wash the leaves with a 25-30% milk solution you can help prevent mildew forming. Seaweed feed in May for foliage and chicken pellets in February at the roots. Good Luck!

17/08/2013 at 18:17

If the base of your greenhouse is brick then, you could knock out a couple of the bricks and plant the root itself outside and have the growing vine inside.

I saw this done on GW last year.

17/08/2013 at 18:31

It was a present with no tag and it just an 8x6 glass green house

17/08/2013 at 20:51
Hi, most are planted outside the greenhouse and trained to grow into it
17/08/2013 at 21:22

Hello Marinelillium, I think you will find that the commercial vineyards in Britain grow white grape varieties. At least, Renishaw Hall, near Chesterfield, does. I think that this is the most northerly commercial vineyard in England.

You may be lucky enough to grow it outdoors if you plant it somewhere sheltered, but I don't think it would do its best. Greenhouse if possible, for me.

17/08/2013 at 23:41

Lots of UK vinyards are now successfully growing classic red wine varieties such as Pinot Noir outdoors, mainly for the sparkling wine trade. You will also find many other red varieties like Rondo and Triomphe d'Alsace. I don't think we'll see Cab Sav or Merlot vintages any time soon but the future does look promising. Several big Champagne houses are buying land in the SE of England because of its potential - same geology as the Champagne region and already producing superb wine (try Nyetimber). The weather isn't always good enough though and last year many vinyards didn't harvest any grapes at all.

The Romans grew vines for wine as far noth as Yorkshire but I would guess that your plant is a dessert type and really needs the shelter of a greenhouse. You can grow them as standards which would take up less room.

email image
8 messages