London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 14°C
6 messages
29/06/2013 at 14:43

My fellow allotmenteers mention green compost which I believe is comfrey left in water for a month

? Can I add dock leaves and anything else pls

29/06/2013 at 14:54

Comfrey alone is best, but I wasn't aware that was green compost. 

I thought green compost was especially grown plants like lucerne which were turned into the soil green.  Often grown to give cover for the soil in winter.

29/06/2013 at 15:07

Thanks for that

29/06/2013 at 15:24
Hi newboy2 the reason why nettles and comfry are so good is because they get their roots very deep into the nutrients plants love,lots of deep rooted plants are ok to use ,go on the net and get info for your own peace of mind and the best way to use the tea lots of info there also the way to do green compost as Welshonion says theirs addresses on the net to order any seeds to grow it ,also check out the dry way of doing the tea its easier and less smelly
good luck
30/06/2013 at 19:33

Hi newboy

I think what they mean is PHACELIA  green manure. it is a fern type annual plant

It is grown untill  about to flower,  then it is  dug into the soil to replenish it.

I have grown it for the bees, they  love the pretty lilac flowers.

01/07/2013 at 15:14

patty, there are several different plants that can be grown as green manure.  Phacelia is just one of them.  Have a look at Suffolk Herbs for a good range of them.

email image
6 messages