Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Greenhouse

I notice you advise bubble wrapping the greenhouse etc. My tomatoes are still going strong. Started a little bit of heat just this week.  Several green ones  of course but lots of red  or ripening ones too. Little orange plum ones are very prolific especially still. Have sold pounds again in aid of church funds. Got grafted plants from Dobies. It has been a great year for all sorts of plants. Very enjoyable gardening year.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Tobyjack, Tomato's need sunlight to ripen, heat wastes energy, I let mine finish the job themselves as my greenhouse is fully South facing and sheltered too, have eaten the last I think although the skins are tougher than the early ones.

I bubble wrap a part of the greenhouse and stack plants in that bit that do not like frost, a frost free electric fan heater takes care of any very heavy frosts we have. The rest of the greenhouse gets those plants that just need shelter from bitter cold winds we get up here.

Frank.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

My understanding of the conditions needed to ripen tomatoes is different  - my understanding and experience is that it's heat rather than sunlight that is needed, as explained here http://cvp.cce.cornell.edu/submission.php?id=91
     - although as that also explains that too high a temperature will also inhibit ripening.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Yes, it's temperature. 

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Over many years growing tomato's the results are only as good as the amount of sunshine I get. Wet cold summers with heat in the house to help poor crop, sunny bright summers without extra heat brilliant crop as this year. Here in the North East Coastal area we had sun when others had storms, the crop has just finished. I was in Holland coming up to Christmas looking at a green house covering a field full of tomato's it was full of bright lights and I was told the light was what ripened the tomato's, I did not argue with an expert commercial grower, now we have them just down the road, massive greenhouses lit up like a light house as well as heat. I rest my case and pray for sunny summers.

Frank.