London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
3 messages
12/06/2013 at 14:06

Where have I gone wrong, I bought celery plants at the end of last year, they were doing fine, but then went to seed !!!  Also how do you get them to have white stems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Barbara

12/06/2013 at 15:37

Celery can be tricky. Young plants mustn't get cold and must harden off properly as it can affect them later on if they are chilled. Have you got self blanching or ordinary? The ordinary ones will need earthing up if you want them white. Various ways. Plant in a trench and fill in as they grow. Earth up like potatoes. Wrap newspaper or corugated cardboard around them. They can then be earthed up or not but it will keep them cleaner! Celery needs an awful lot of water. As I live in Dordogne it can be very hot and dry in summer so I don't grow it anymore.

12/06/2013 at 17:59

Thank you Busy Lizzie for your help, I live in Bulgaria, so perhaps the got chilled in the Winter, I don't know if they are self-blanching or ordinary as I bought them from the local market. I will take note of your advise and plant them in a trench and fill in as they grow next year. The idea about newspaper or corrugated cardboard sound good. I will try again for next year, but otherwise give up as we also have very hot and dry summers.  Thankyou very much for your prompt response.

It's good to know it's not only me that has had problems.

Many thanks

Barbara

email image
3 messages