10 messages
18/01/2013 at 22:00
Having watched a-z of gardening on iplayer I am inspired to try blueberries in a pot, we are quite exposed here and not the sunny weather of some places but wonder if they would be ok in a greenhouse and what else I could grow fruit wise in a pot.
18/01/2013 at 23:20
Wouldn't grow blueberries in a greenhouse. They need plenty of moisture and some shade. Very acid soil too, by the way. I grow a few varieties in pots plunged in the ground and it's best to grow more than one variety if only to extend the season. Figs in pots in greenhouse would be good. What about raspberries in pots? They like the cooler conditions.....I think....up north.
18/01/2013 at 23:37

A few others to try in pots are Lingonberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea), Honey berry (Lonicera caerulea), Goji berry (Lycium barbarum.)  Like Blueberries, you are best to get at least 2 plants so they can cross-fertilize (do this by hand if growing indoors.)  All of them prefer an ericaceous compost to grow in and so are best watered with rainwater, especially if you live somewhere with "hard" tap water.  They all come from more northern climes, so will grow outside in most places - Honey berry grows in Siberia, Lingon berry in Scandinavia and Goji berry in Mongolia!

19/01/2013 at 09:22
I do have acid soil , shade and fair bit of rain being up in the forests of northern England . I shall look for those other berries they sound great and raspberries too. It will be nice to try other things this year , looking forward to trying veg again.
Thanks for your help just a novice here, great to have some advice.
19/01/2013 at 11:05

I have 3 blueberry plants in pots of ericaceous compost. They cropped well last year (first year) and am waiting to see this year - plenty of leaf buds. I think I have to pot them on every 2 years, My garden is very windy but have shelterd them about 6 foot away from a fence and near a lilac on the other side.

For raspberries try Autumn ones - do not need framework - I planted 'Polka' last year and was picking fruit end of November.

19/01/2013 at 21:35

Don't see why you shouldn't try growing blueberries in your part of the country. They do reasonably well in pots outdoors. I'm in Lancashire just over the border from Cumbria. If your garden is exposed try positioning the pots near to the house. Top Hat does well here, not sure what the other variety is which I have!

20/01/2013 at 09:19

I'm in North Derbyshire. I grow mine in an old bath outside. I have 3 varieties - Augusta, Julia and another which i can't remember - which fruit at slightly different times so I get a pretty long season.

I planted the bath up by lining the bottom with bracken, then filling it with acid compost. You do need to keep the soil very damp - rainwater is best - otherwise the fruit will be small and and not very juicy. I also give them a feed with an Ericaceous liquid feed once a month. They don't need pruning.

As an aside, one job for this year is to put a living wall down the side of the bath

20/01/2013 at 09:22

Oh yes, and what else you could grow in a pot in addition to what's already been suggest - apples.  I grow James Grieve in one and it fruits very well

20/01/2013 at 10:05

Hello, Goji berry is a good idea. We have some and I can say that this fruit shrub is very modest to take care. The seed kernel in pot or garden, they grow alone. You can look at this video about growing in pot. Best luck and greetings,ThaiGer

20/01/2013 at 11:24
Thanks everyone , I shall note all names and get looking and plotting where to place them, rather excited and hadn't thought of apples in a pot , I can see me having a full deck area this year, move over herbs !
email image
10 messages