London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
11 messages
18/05/2013 at 00:38

A warning ! Yesterday morning my wife called me outside into the garden wanting to show me something she had noticed. Whilst looking through the kitchen window she had seen the head and shoulders of Smudge, a stray cat we are taking care of at the moment, sticking out of one of the bags in which I am growing potatoes. Yes, he was using it as a litter tray. Despite my assurances that before any spuds are ready for using the bag will have been thoroughly watered through over several months my wife has decided that this crop is not destined for our table. We were running a little behind time for getting to work so I decided that I would fill the other bag with a layer of preventative twigs on return from work. Too late ! When I came home the little ***** had performed in the other bag as well. Protect your spuds with a suitable layer of twigs or perhaps plastic mesh over the bag .Mayhap I have discovered a new flavour for crisps ! Look out Walkers !.    

18/05/2013 at 06:40

Oh my goodness GarryH!   Thanks for the warning, I've lost loads of seedlings, etc. to the neighbourhood moggies, never thought for a moment that there was a possibility that they'd use my tattie bags too!

KEF
18/05/2013 at 07:32

Heck, got 6 potato sacks and 2 cats next door, I'm out there now to check, in dressing gown!

Thanks for warning.

18/05/2013 at 07:45

Had this problem for a number of years since neighbour adopted 5 cats.

All my veg is container grown,which all stand on a gravel area,husband had to make me a fence out of chicken wire to surround the whole area,and I also use twigs/sticks etc to make doubly sure.Has been alright since(touch wood),but twigs alone did not deter them.

18/05/2013 at 09:24

Holly prunings. Pointy side up

18/05/2013 at 10:33

Cats reputedly dislike citronella.So as there are various products on the market why not introduce some as an experiment in cat repellent to the mouths of your grow bags? Logically there can be no harm in putting citrus fruit peal,perhaps chopped up,as a mulch,will cost nothing to try!...Please let me know how you get on 

18/05/2013 at 16:59

Figetbones,great idea ,will try this out as we have a big holly bush in the front garden

Big Ed,have already tried citrus,lemon & grapefruit without sucess,also bought a lemon scented spray which did,nt work either.

18/05/2013 at 23:54

Thanks Big Ed, I will give citronella a try and let you know what happens. My only concern is if it doesn,t work I will have wasted another possible crop, unless I don't tell my wife if it fails !!.Long term perhaps a combination of the 2 methods might be successful with a barrier such as holly as suggested by fidgetbones (thanks) or hawthorne.Wild-Gardener and KEF, hope my warning came in time.  

19/05/2013 at 20:44

i find trimmings from gorse bushes realy work laid on top of the bags ............

19/05/2013 at 22:58

my cat always goes for the fluffyest bit of earth I've just raked, I'm sure he thinks I'm just preparing giant litter trays for him, I think anything over the top that makes it look less comfortable will work.. sticks, brambles etc...

23/05/2013 at 23:56

Thanks Pineapple & Mandy. Latest update, I grow successive sowings of pulling carrots in 12 inch pots. Who would have thought a full grown cat could fit in a 12 inch pot !!! 

email image
11 messages