5 messages
14/07/2013 at 08:56

Hi

I'm still fairly new to growing strawberries & am interested to know what others use to keep the ripening fruits off the soil (or even if you bother to do it).

I have enjoyed a very heavy crop this year &  decided to try barley straw. Put it down a few weeks ago but within 3 days found that I had inadvertently sown a field of barley! There were obviously lots of seeds in with the straw & they are still germinating at a rate of knots even though I cleared the straw away as soon as I realised what was happening.

Has anyone else had this problem & what alternatives work well?

Thanks for your help.

14/07/2013 at 09:35

I've used wood shavings in the past Topbird as the girls had guinea pigs! That seemed to work quite well. You can use weed suppressing membrane too. 

To be honest I don't think mine ever lasted long enough for there to be a problem -the girls ate them!

14/07/2013 at 11:41

It's my second year of growing them in hanging baskets. I get 4-5 in each one. I have had a decent crop. They over winter in a spare bed then I dig up and replant in the basket again.

Lyn
14/07/2013 at 12:19

I grow mine through sheets of black plastic weed suppresant mem

brane,they are, off the ground, no weeds and you can tuck a few slug pellets under.

14/07/2013 at 23:02

Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately hanging baskets are not an option as I am not here enough to water them as much as they would require.

I think a combination of membrane overlaid with chippings or shavings sounds like a plan (especially as I know a fumiture maker who can supply me with free shavings!)

email image
5 messages