London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
18 messages
29/05/2012 at 14:18

I'm a beginner and decided to sow sweetcorn to grow in my newly acquired greenhouse (having just moved house). All 13 plants are growing very well and are now over a foot high, after potting on. However as I live in central Scotland I was intending to grow these in the greenhouse but I understand they need the wind to pollinate the group. Could I leave them in the greenhouse with the door open or do I need to move them outside to pollinate? Or would using a brush work instead?

29/05/2012 at 14:23

How big is the greenhouse -these are going to to grow into rather large plants-what are you growing them in?

29/05/2012 at 14:31

They are in groups of 3 in 40cm diameter plastic pots. To be honest I didn't expect all the seeds to germinate - If I'd known I would only have planted 3 or 4. The greenhouse is 9ft x 11ft.

29/05/2012 at 14:51

Honestly-I think you are going to have all sorts or problems trying to grow these in the greenhouse,temperature, watering even access-is planting outside not an option?

29/05/2012 at 14:57

I have loads of space to position them outside (various sunny walls and along the outside of the greenhouse, slightly exposed to the wind though) but assumed it would be too cold to grow them successfully outside in Scotland.

29/05/2012 at 15:04

Might depend on the variety-do you see sweetcorn growing in fields near you?

29/05/2012 at 15:22

I haven't seen any sweetcorn near here but believe some farmers grow it in the Borders (further south) for silage only (presumably as they don't harvest well, but I don't really know). No information on the variety on the packet supplied by 'Beautiful Garden' I'm afraid. 

29/05/2012 at 15:30

They should be planted in blocks so 3 X 4 would be ideal-I would hate to say grow outside and you have an absolute failure-but am not sure about greenhouse growing-see if any others- perhaps posters from Scotland- have to say before deciding.

29/05/2012 at 15:37

Why not try keeping half in the greenhouse and half outside

29/05/2012 at 16:03

Thanks to you both. I'll keep one block inside and place the others outside.

Has anyone out there in Central Scotland grown sweetcorn outside successfully?

29/05/2012 at 16:08

Sweetcorn can easily grow to 6' - I don't want to spoil your experiment but I think they would be far happier outside - they are going to need lots of water if you plant 3 to 40cm pot - if we have a good summer it will probably be too hot for them in a greenhouse. Sorry

Pam x

29/05/2012 at 16:37

Hello Gilly 7, My mum has successfully  grown sweetcorn outside @ her allotment for many years. She is based in Edinburgh.  Doesn't do anything special just sticks them in the ground and hey presto!!

Hope that helps

Miss B x

29/05/2012 at 20:55

Hi , I am in south yorkshire, Last year was not a right good summer compared to the summer 2010  . I live down a country lane surrounded by fields , no shelter whatsoever. I had brilliant crops both years as a rule even in the cold wet summers sweetcorn is okey. I start off in the greenhouse until they are to go outside - usualy June when all supposed frost is gone. Sometimes they are 1 ft  high before they go out. I now set them all in a sead tray to save on room. When they are around 6 inch tall I prick out putting 1 into a 6 inch pot . When setting in the garden I put around 10 inch apart in blocks . The wind will polenate them when they grow tassels. give them lots of water specialy when the cobs are forming . you may need to stake them . good luck- they easy and nothing beats a home grown cob !. 

29/05/2012 at 22:01

I've seen sweetcorn cropping quite well in the Borders, Jedburgh region, and I seem to remember that the summers can be quite pleasant in Scotland. I'd definately plant them out and take your chances. There's not much sweeter than a cob straight off the plant.

30/05/2012 at 10:08

Forgot to say, when our harvesting your sweetcorn have ready a pan of water  on the boil and ONLY THEN pick your sweetcorn so that almost straight away it is in the pan . This way you get all the sweetness and no starch . Even keeping in the fridge you are starting to lose the flavour .

30/05/2012 at 11:59

......  and use the very best butter you can get - oh yummy!!

30/05/2012 at 12:19

I don't even bother to cook my sweetcorn

Pam x

30/05/2012 at 20:55

When harvesting last year, I tended to find mine infested with earwigs, which isn't pleasant.

email image
18 messages