London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 99 messages
29/04/2014 at 11:42

If you are looking for advice on how to grow tomatoes, using pots in a greenhouse then please have a look at my latest video. Enjoy! http://youtu.be/fEhng2J6a-c

29/04/2014 at 13:15

Sorry but the insert video method did not work, but I have now included the link which you can click and it will take you to the video.

30/04/2014 at 20:22

The above video was the third part in a small series (more still to come as the tomatoes grow!).

Here is the link to the first one in the series http://youtu.be/KBK4dsc0Lf0

and the second part http://youtu.be/6Lli2VZLbkQ

Please tell me what you think of them and please feel free to subscribe to my youtube channel called "Simon knott" - you will then receive a message when I post further videos.

30/04/2014 at 20:24

I am always keen to see/hear about new ways of growing tomatoes so please comment.

01/05/2014 at 08:44

Nice work, Simon. For the first transplant I plant the seedlings deeper, almost down to the leaves, to encourage root development from the buried part of the stem (as wee as it is). Ditto later when planting out.

01/05/2014 at 17:32

Thanks for your comment Italophile. I will give that a try next year. I do plant the larger plants deeper in "growing tomatoes Part 3" (the second transplant) but have never tried it at the early stage. What you say makes good sense! Thanks.

01/05/2014 at 18:00

Same principle, Simon. The quicker you get the root structure developing the better.

06/05/2014 at 22:09

The tomatoes are growing well (checked them tonight). Along a similar theme, I will add a few more handfuls of compost to each pot as the compost settles with watering. Again, this will encourage root formation up the stem of the plant.

06/05/2014 at 22:25

Does planting toms deeper prevent the roots from showing as they get bigger? I find that my tomatoes seem to pull out of the ground. Have space in the g.house for 5 then will plant the rest (used up an old packet of seeds and they've nearly all grown) in tubs outside.

06/05/2014 at 23:07

Yes it does stop that problem and the plants get more feed! Have a look at my videos, if you haven't already, hopefully you will see a few useful tips! Links are above.

07/05/2014 at 07:14

Foodie, when transplanting to their final growing spot, either in pots or in the ground, carefully nip off all the lower wee branches and foliage. Leave only the top foliage, which amounts to the canopy. Plant the seedlings deeply, with the canopy just above the soil level. You shouldn't have trouble with roots appearing on the surface unless they go into a pot which is too small.

07/05/2014 at 08:43

Ah normally trim off the lower leaves after the flowers have set and tomatoes are beginning to produce. Hoping to have a good crop this year, although last year was good, have still got several bags of toms in the freezer.

Bought one plant which is in with 3 lots of flowers, mother-in-law grew 4 plants which are ready to plant in the g.house and the rest are still small but will pot on at the weekend, these will go outside. Thanks for the tips Simon and Italophile

09/05/2014 at 19:52

Your welcome Foodie! Glad the tips are useful! Good luck.

10/05/2014 at 10:30

Have got 34 plants growing! Where do I plant them all?? Think they'll have to dotted around the allotment - where there's a post there'll be a tomato!!

11/05/2014 at 07:45

Lol sounds good foodie - lots of tomato soup in the autumn? I have 12 plants in the greenhouse, my mum has 4 in hers and the ' spares' are being collected today by a couple of local neighbours.

nin
11/05/2014 at 17:53

Not sure if this is useful but years ago i saw a programme and there was a bit about  planting basil near tomatoes to keep whitefly/greenfly /black fly away.I tried this and despite a number of these insects on my fruit bushes no more than four feet away from some of my tomatoes my tomatoes did not get a single fly of any colour as far as i could see i had 35 tomato plants each with a couple of basils in the pot or a row of basil in the bed underneath. I think its great as Basil and tomatoes go so well together. Will have around 60 tomato plants  this year although many of the extras will be tumblers as going to try hanging basket toms with mini leafed greek basil.

11/05/2014 at 18:09

Nin, useful advice - as it happens I do go several pots of basil in the greenhouse, not specifically for the reason you mention but maybe that's why I never have any problems with green or white fly! Thanks for your tip!

12/05/2014 at 07:52

Hi Nin yes I've heard of that too, tried it once but the tomatoes got so big that the basil didn't grow should've trimmed off the branches more. Tomato and basil with mozzarella cheese - sounds like summer

14/05/2014 at 17:25
14/05/2014 at 17:29
The tomatoes are growing strongly and now is the time to remove the first few side shoots. A job for me tonight.
1 to 20 of 99 messages