London (change)
Today 21°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
21 to 25 of 25 messages
11/04/2013 at 23:51

Don't forget the fruits... I grow tomatoes with my strawberries in an old round washing up bowl - holes in bottom for drainage and hung up in a lilac tree.  Also grow with nasturtiums, (I can't spell that either) and have had gr8 success with marrows in a 12" pot, need to feed regularly, I have bilberries in pots, and in a thin wedge of soil about 9" deep by 9" across, up against a east facing wall I have a peach, kiwi and cherry, plus summer green beans, oh and a passion fruit (also edible, but haven't had any fruit off that yet).  Radish did so well, I don't like them anymore - I grew cucumber in a pot in a shed converted into a greenhouse and although spindly it cropped really well.  Best thing about pots, if you have to you can move them and last year with all the rain, I kept taking them out of their trays in order to drain the water, also extended the season by dragging stuff into the shed!  I also store home made compost in a dustbin, and if I have any surplus compost not in use elsewhere, I just bung some spuds that have chitted in the cupboard, and get a few extra for no cost, they would have gone on the compost anyway!  I also grow strawberries in the cracks between the slabs on the patio, they sometimes get trodden on and then the birds eat them, but the presence of birds tends to keep the slugs and snails under control too.

12/04/2013 at 10:39

Potatoes in bags are very successful for me, so easy to earth up and get lovely clean crops too.   Have even kept a bag in an unheated greenhouse to use at Christmas.  The 'used' compost goes on the veg beds and rest of garden.   Have also grown carrots in large pots, usually the small round carrots and they have come through the awful winter this year.   Grow runner and climbing beans in an old 'muck bucket' which had badly cracked with age.  If you choose varieties with interesting coloured flowers and maybe include a couple of sweet peas you get a very pretty display.   Salad leave do brilliantly, I suffer from flea beetles all over the garden and so cover pots of salad leaves so I have some to eat myself.

16/04/2013 at 17:30

I found a brilliant book in the library (and since bought a copy) called Patio Produce by Paul Peacock, it's about how to grow veg, fruit, herbs etc. in the smallest possible space. He uses all sorts of wacky things for containers and gives loads of loads of really good advice on what to grow when. His garden is in Manchester so he knows about weather! I'm having at growing things I would never have thought of trying before.

17/04/2013 at 16:04

I came across this link in reply to another post, but thought I'd share the link here as well, as I thought it's a really neat idea.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22210.jpg?width=600&height=350&mode=max

Instructions and more info here: http://nestinstyle.com/garden/how-to-make-a-hanging-gutter-garden/

AJB
19/04/2013 at 23:37
I've been successful growing salad leaves in biscuit /sweet tins. I just make holes in the bottom (hammer and a nail) and kept high up avoids being nibbled by slugs
email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages