Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

growing winter onions

hi, do winter onions like fertilised soil????? if so i have well rotter chicken manure is this any good or shall i buy some fertiliser? also should i cover the onions?

• when you say dont put the manure too near them  does that mean i should rotavate the manure in???? as currently it is on the surface.

• Think it would be best to dig the manure in. I plant mine at the allotment where there are plenty of pidgeons who like to eat them. I hang old cds on a low washing line and this does put some of them off.

• ok brilliant thanks for your help image

• Last week I dug my onion  patch (previously potatoes) and added compost. I read somewhere that onions don't like manure so have always used compost.  Anyway I lightly trod it over after composting, sprinkled the surface with growmore and gently raked it in. I intend to plant out my onion sets after the weekend so the ground has had a bit of a rest and the growmore has begun to activate.  I have done this several years running and it seems to work well. Hope this helps

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Is it just winter ones that don't like manure? I have horses and I spread the old manure heap (1 year old) onto the garden in autumn. Then in spring in the veg garden I rotavate it all in before planting. This year the summer onions had lots and they were enourmous. I don't grow winter onions.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.