12 messages
12/12/2013 at 00:11

Hi Everyone.

This maybe a random stab in the dark. 

I am a University Student and I am current doing a project which involves encouraging people who grow their fruit and veg to donate any excess/waste produce to food banks.

There is an increase in food poverty, which means more people are turning to food banks, however there is a high demand for food but not enough to supply people. There is also a lot of food waste which could potentially be donated.

If anyone has any ideas, input or advice, etc. anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Grace

12/12/2013 at 08:52

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Food Banks only accept tinned food? The poster I saw at our local shopping centre certainly seemed to indicate that.

Are you also including in your study encouraging users of the Food Banks (where possible) to grow their own foods? Though a novice myself if a cooperative type arrangement was formed I'd happily give time to help others grow vegetables / fruit  in return for help if I needed it and put my surplus produce into the collective pot. I wonder if some allotment societies do this already?

12/12/2013 at 09:44

At my allotment as a society I'm not aware of food being donated to a food bank. I do know that as individuals some 'plotters' do give their excess to local community centres and of course we exchange our goods with one another!

Or we leave our excess outside our 'shop' and any one can help themselves, this would include plants as well.

As a novice allotment holder I'm amazed at the generosity of my new gardening friends.

12/12/2013 at 11:15

I went to talk about food banks recently and they have a strict list of what is acceptable. Unfortunately fresh food, including fruit and veg, is not included.

12/12/2013 at 12:53

why not just give it to your local soup kitchen or even have a word with the salvation army or make soup your self and give it away

12/12/2013 at 13:11

Grace, it is a lovely idea and I'm sure you will figure out a way to make it work.

12/12/2013 at 13:40

At my workplace we have a scheme where people can bring in anything from own-grown veggies and homemade jam/wine to surplus supermarket foodstuff (particularly from bog-offs) and we just leave the stuff on a designated table in the canteen with an 'honesty' box.  People help themselves and make a donation that we then give to a local charity.  It avoids the whole 'acceptable list' thing, reduces food waste and makes us feel good. It is particularly useful for me because I have this little old guy from the local allotments who sells me free-range eggs every week and, frankly, I don't eat that many eggs but haven't the heart to say 'no' when he comes and, anyway, I'm all for encouraging free-range farming, so I just buy them and take them in to work.

12/12/2013 at 14:02

I think more people should do this

where my wife works they also have a table where people do the same bring in items for people to just donate money for they even have a area for books that people can just take.

The local Farmers of the area are all ways dropping off free eggs and even fresh meat

a real community spirit.

my wife is a lovely giving person that makes cards and wedding invites for just the cost of the material plus 50p and she gives about £300.00 pound a year to the little princes trust from card making alone not to mention giving up weekends for charity family and friends.

she has just come home with a free bag of beef must be 6 joints in the bag.

I did a village summer fair last year and all my money went to the air ambulance £250.00 after I paid for the table area I was fun

James

12/12/2013 at 14:37

Hi Grace  I took apples, eaters and cookers, to the food bank this year and they took them. The problem with fresh food is just that it will go off if not distributed in time. That is the only reason our food bank won't take it. I just said if they couldn't give them away to make use of them themselves afterall they volunteer their services for free so should get a few perks from the job. Have a word with a local food bank and see what they say.

12/12/2013 at 17:19

Thank you all for your input very much appreciated.

I am going to set up a meeting with the local food banks to get their input and also planing on talking to the salvation army. 

I am aware of what food banks will and wont accept which is why I want to do this project. If I could find out days when the food banks give out food or how much they give out on average per week maybe could somehow time it so the fresh food donated is only kept 1 or 2 days max before being distributed. 

Thank you again

Grace

12/12/2013 at 19:31

Hiya Grace

Firstly it's great such a young person is showing interest like this

I volunteer at local foodbank.  (I may even be on tv .....well, I  "interrupted" several  interviews, ha ha)

We do take fresh food.  Fruit, veg etc is often brought in.  We took bread, buns, etc too for a while but it was felt it could be a health issue so stopped that.  

We open two days a week.  Next week we will be open for 5 days and continue until the schools reopen in the New Year.  This is to provide school meals for the kids too.  

We have recently opened a warehouse with chillers to keep various frozen foods

There is an ever urgent need for Foodbanks....we seem to have one in most towns here now.........and until you see it for yourself you cannot understand or appreciate the situation.  In a rich country....and we are.....such poverty should simply not be.

12/12/2013 at 20:47

The Trussell Trust has set up food banks in our area. They will deliver to. Rural. Areas. Where transport is an issue. They don't have much storage space , but will accept fresh food on the days they are open. We leave abowl of fruit and veg and a card inviting them to our  community allotment . 

email image
12 messages