Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Harvesting Squash

I started growing Squash for the first time this year, and this is the sole harvest from 4 plants. Two went by the wayside early on,because I was unaware they had to be pollinated. Despite efforts to do this with my other two, this is the only one that pollinated properly. I will not bother next year because they are too fiddely, and take up far too much room. What I need to know is,  is this one is ready to be removed, and allowed to harden a little. I hope the pics are clear enough.  Many thanks.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

I'd say leave it to grow on but it'll need plenty of watering and maybe a bit of feeding too.

Generally speaking, squash require a gerat deal of space and light and plenty of moisture and food to grow well so are better off grown outside in the ground or on a compost heap where they'll get pollinated by passing insects.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • obelixx wrote (see)

I'd say leave it to grow on but it'll need plenty of watering and maybe a bit of feeding too.

Generally speaking, squash require a gerat deal of space and light and plenty of moisture and food to grow well so are better off grown outside in the ground or on a compost heap where they'll get pollinated by passing insects.

I give it a watering every other day, with a tomato feed about once a week. I had to move them inside my shed a few weeks ago, because they were dominating the greenhouse floor, & obstructing my path to the tomatoes. Interesting observation on growing on a compost heap though.