London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
13/04/2013 at 19:25
Evening folks, wondered if many of you have put your tattles in yet? I've got first earlies and main crop. Both have been slow to chit this year. Might plant them tomorrow unless anyone on here advises not too until it's a bit warmer.....cheers
13/04/2013 at 19:43

Here in Northamptonshire it has been so cold and wet more rain yesterday and more today the ground is just to wet they wood just rot. we are only just planting some earlies in ourer polytunnels most years we plant in early March even to wet in places inside. Not thinking about putting them outside yet lost more than half my tattles last year due the wet .

Just because we have seen the sun this weeki wood wait a bit longer or you might end up like the farmer

13/04/2013 at 19:58
Thanks Tractorboy. I'll wait a bit longer then. You sound like you know your stuff on tatties....any tips on how to get a good yield? Pots or in the ground? Are you an actual farmer by the way? Sorry for being a nosy Parker!
14/04/2013 at 07:00

Im chitting mine at the min, i grow mine in 3 Potato Buckets and usually do well with good yields.  apart from last year Blight!  so fingers crossed

14/04/2013 at 14:23
hi all ,,,all went in last week earlies ,,seconds, and main and lots of other stuff too , weather is wet at the moment in Tenby, now much warmer but alas with strong winds but I think were away with the mixer at last
good planting everybody
Alan4711
14/04/2013 at 16:38

First and Second Earlies are planted, in containers.

Main Crop will have to wait, the soil is too wet to work with.

14/04/2013 at 17:44

Planted all mine last weekend, 1st earlies 2nd earlies and mains. The weather was dry and sunny and the soil in my raised beds had warmed up a little. Fingers crossed 

14/04/2013 at 18:29

put my earlies in two weeks ago and mains in 2 days ago.  they are in raised beds though so soil may be a bit warmer and more free draining.  if you do put them in just watch out for they shoots, if you see them cover over with soil to help protect from any early frost. we are in the north west and still getting a bit of frost.

15/04/2013 at 11:03

Also put my mains in 2 days ago. My bed is very free draining and its warmed up quite a bit here in South Yorkshire so heres hoping

15/04/2013 at 14:58

covered the soil for two weeks previous, and put them in a fortnight ago,its pretty mild in the south though, first time growing so fingers crossed, time will tell ...

15/04/2013 at 16:40

mine are going in this evening, fingers and toes x'd!!!

15/04/2013 at 17:57

is it too late to put onion sets in the ground.I am very new to growing veggies

15/04/2013 at 19:24
Our tatties are not in yet, soil in Yorkshire is still cold about 6inches down, some parts the snow has just gone. Onion sets should be ok if you put them in now, we have ours in cell trays till the soil is a bit better. I think they should all be in by the end of the week though.
Leonette
15/04/2013 at 19:37

Main crop went in today.

15/04/2013 at 19:37

I'm in South Hampshire and all mine went in on 7th April.

16/04/2013 at 09:08

Planning on putting mine in 2day(maris peers) is there an optimum depth they should go in at? thanks

18/04/2013 at 17:16

6 to 8 inch is recommended, I usually dig the depth of my spade,then place sheep pellets in the bottom,put a light covering of soil over,plant the potatoes and then 2 inch of soil on top,wait for the tips to show through and then cover back to level ground.

After that it's a case of earthing up as needed.

19/04/2013 at 09:52

My potatoes were planted in Corwall last week-end, all in containers. Have been given some fleece sacks to put over them in the vain hope they will keep the blight off them.

Some of the seed potatoes had baby spuds forming on their tops so decided to chance it and get them in. It was very wet last week but dryer now.

19/04/2013 at 11:40
I am trying to grow potatoes for the first time this year. I planted chitted potatoes (main crop) in a potatoe grown bag probably 3 weeks ago (am based in South Wales) do you think I put them out too early or am is too early for any shoots to show? Sorry if these are silly questions!
19/04/2013 at 16:04

The potatoes should be alright. It will depend on how deep you planted the seed potaoes as to whether the shoots should be through or not. Do not wish them on too quickly. If you have a frost forecast, and the shoots are through, cover them with newspaper or fleece as they are very frost tender. Being scorched by frost will put back their croppingbn time.

1 to 20 of 22 messages