Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Have you put your potatoes in yet?

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469
Evening folks, wondered if many of you have put your tattles in yet? I've got first earlies and main crop. Both have been slow to chit this year. Might plant them tomorrow unless anyone on here advises not too until it's a bit warmer.....cheers

• Here in Northamptonshire it has been so cold and wet more rain yesterday and more today the ground is just to wet they wood just rot. we are only just planting some earlies in ourer polytunnels most years we plant in early March even to wet in places inside. Not thinking about putting them outside yet lost more than half my tattles last year due the wet .

Just because we have seen the sun this weekimagei wood wait a bit longer or you might end up like the farmer

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469
    Thanks Tractorboy. I'll wait a bit longer then. You sound like you know your stuff on tatties....any tips on how to get a good yield? Pots or in the ground? Are you an actual farmer by the way? Sorry for being a nosy Parker!
  • chic-vicchic-vic Posts: 8

Im chitting mine at the min, i grow mine in 3 Potato Buckets and usually do well with good yields.  apart from last year Blight!  so fingers crossed image

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657
    hi all ,,,all went in last week earlies ,,seconds, and main and lots of other stuff too , weather is wet at the moment in Tenby, now much warmer but alas with strong winds but I think were away with the mixer at last

good planting everybody

Alan4711
  • NetherfieldNetherfield Posts: 120

First and Second Earlies are planted, in containers.

Main Crop will have to wait, the soil is too wet to work with.

• sweet psweet p Posts: 15

Planted all mine last weekend, 1st earlies 2nd earlies and mains. The weather was dry and sunny and the soil in my raised beds had warmed up a little. Fingers crossed image

• kaz501kaz501 Posts: 4

put my earlies in two weeks ago and mains in 2 days ago.  they are in raised beds though so soil may be a bit warmer and more free draining.  if you do put them in just watch out for they shoots, if you see them cover over with soil to help protect from any early frost. we are in the north west and still getting a bit of frost.

• Also put my mains in 2 days ago. My bed is very free draining and its warmed up quite a bit here in South Yorkshire so heres hoping image

• covered the soil for two weeks previous, and put them in a fortnight ago,its pretty mild in the south though, first time growing so fingers crossed, time will tell ...

• mine are going in this evening, fingers and toes x'd!!!