Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Have you seen one?????

I havent seen one Ladybird this year!!!!   I go to all the trouble of building a Ladybird Mansion in my greenhouse and  NO  ladybirds...I look like a mad lady scouring the hedgerows to see if i can find any...one the other hand  the Cabbage whites are out in force today and im frantically netting everything and finally some BEES arrived in my garden with the sunshine so just maybe all is not lost this year

• LokelaniLokelani Posts: 112

I think I've seen one, you're right, far fewer than normal. 

Lots of bees though. image

Also I saw lots of hoverflies around the flowers in my troughs a few days ago. 

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

I've got lots of ladybirds,bees etc. I know it's not pc but I can't appreciate all this wildlife gardening stuff.  Along with the usual slugs and snails we enjoy the assistance of: moles, rabbits, foxes, badgers, pigeons, pheasants, a heron, and this year, a stray peacock. I'd just like to have a bit less! Mind you, we do have red squirrels, so I suppose it's not all bad!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have loads they are around
  • weejennyweejenny Posts: 386

Not seen ladybirds up here for a long time. Lots of bees

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Typical isn't it, you go to all that trouble of building a home for out friends and they don't move inimage 

I have a lovely little bird feeder which you can thread apples through, the birds don't even look at it yet they manage to see currants hidden under leaves on bushesimage  

• RobotRobot Posts: 137

I had posted several weeks back that there are no ladybirds here - SW France - and to date I still haven't seen one.  Yes, cabbage whites everywhere but now the other butterflies are out - later than usual but more daily.  Greenfly, blackfly and whitefly in abundance unfortunately.  Fewer bees and the wasps are around early.  There are a lot less flies this year so that could explain that but there are more horse flies - as my poor legs and arms can testify to image

There's a second colony of birds just fledging so the Magpies are hanging around.  I've been putting out cooked rice with the wild bird seed as there's loads of mouths to feed now and they cost us a fortune to feed. 

Still, where would we be without them all ?

• Had loads on my allotment when it was warm earlier in the year, in this last lot of sun havent seen any. I have a Persicaria in the garden that has loved all the rain ( glad somrthing has) and is covered in flowers which in turn is now covered in bees. Pegging out the washing one day couldnt work out what the noise was, turned around and was amazed to see so many bees. Starting to get a few butterflies around now as they weren,t to keen on the rain.

• m0rcem0rce Posts: 21
    Ive seen two so far
  • We've had reasonable numbers (in Yorkshire). They made a good job of the greenfly but are turning their noses up at the blackflies for some reason ?