London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
61 to 73 of 73 messages
01/03/2014 at 20:08

Daylily seeds planted today.

03/03/2014 at 11:27

First seeds of the year sown on the weekend, some sweet peas, white everlasing and some cupani , blue cornflowers and some erygiums (sp?). 

03/03/2014 at 19:53

I have sown a few seeds - Begonia - Marigold - Lobelia - Geraniums - Canterbury bells - Gazania - verbena - buzzy lizzy - snap dragon - delphinium - petunia - aster - minulus and Holly hock. Almost sown some tomatoes today. I got a load more plants to sow this week as well  

03/03/2014 at 21:14

I've sow pea's early onward on kitchen roll and shallots have been started in the GH.

03/03/2014 at 21:39

Now sown sweet peas, begonia, marigold, lobelia, petunia, pansy, snap dragon, everlasting pea, black eyed susan, dahlia tubers. How hardy are snap dragon will they survive in a mini greenhouse in april?

03/03/2014 at 22:24

WOW!

What busy bees you have all been.  It appears from the posts tat veg is just a nose in front.  I am wondering what knock on effect all this wet weather will have later on in the veggie markests.

To date.  I 'SOWED' some sweet peas a while ago in deep pots, in the greenhouse.  They are now showing.  I like them to take their time and not to suddenly spring up over night.  When the time comes, after hardening off.  The content of each pot will be tapped out, and planted as one lump.  This ensures a good bushy start for the new plants.  In the greenhouse, I have been struggling to make room.  I have just 'Planted' some new lily bulbs.  Seed, 'SOWING' can wait another couple of weeks.  I have around 100-150 pkts of flower seeds to sow.  I'd rather be a bit late than to chance things.  Some might wonder why I have used capitals for various things.  I admire the hard work that most put in, when posting.  It must take many of you a lot of time looking up the botanical names

So if I might.  Sow.  You sow seeds.  Plant.  You plant an existing bulb, corm tuber etc and also a plant of various species.  Just a help.

There are many members who make use of heated propagators.  Great!  Now come the time when you prick out.  What do you do with all these new seedlings.  They will still require protection and some heat.  Mike is not waving a big stick.  Believe me.   Much of my knowledge has been gained the hard way.  Please slow down.

Many garden lovers tend to throw everything to the wind, as soon as they see trays of plants available on the market.  Stop and think.  How many of us have rushed out, spent a small fortune.  Then a couple of weeks time.  There we are agin.  Buying another load of plants.  Let your instinct be your guide, NOT the commercial growers.

Kind regards.

03/03/2014 at 22:25

Hello all yes I will be sowing sweet williams, Night scented stock lobelia for my hanging baskets I love night scented stock its so fragranced i like to encourage all nature as i just adore it im also planting a cherry tree dwarf one and also sorting out my bedding so all happy gardening oh and put marigold in your hanging baskets as some insects hate them 

03/03/2014 at 23:07

I'm quite excited.  I actually started sowing seeds for the first time in about 3 years (blame complete wreck of a garden for this).  I finally got my sweet peas in over the weekend.  They are in little pots on the windowsill in my living room (safer than the greenhouse which keeps blowing over and the garden is still a wreck - until 17th March that is ). 

I've got loads of seeds to play with and a whole garden to find plants for, so I'm planning to start a fair amount from seed.  Now if only I could get to my pots and trays which have been stuck in the garage for the last month or two.  With all the bad weather the door has swollen shut

04/03/2014 at 00:10

I think the snapdragons are quite hardy cairnise. I'm further South that you but I've had them survive in coldframes a lot earlier than this

I grew most of my plants that were in my last garden, growing from seed is great!

04/03/2014 at 14:53

Started off the allotment season sowing some cabbage, caulis,calabrese,summer savoys and lettuce, all in plug trays in the polytunnel. Still way too wet to do any direct sowing so will start my onion sets in plug trays too. Have a few things indoors on the windowsills, celeriac and chillis. Will be sowing my toms next week I think.

04/03/2014 at 16:07

My sweetpeas I started last October and they are now about 7"-10" in length and have been in my cold greenhouse all winter. Last month got all my tomatoes sown, snap dragons, more sweet peas (blue ones), leeks,

hollyhocks Aubritia, and Lobelias.  All on the kitchen floor in trays or heated propagator in front of a big picture window. Will be glad to get them outside as am now fed up with nearly tripping over them!!

04/03/2014 at 20:56

Thanks holly hock I thought they were I live less than 3 mile from the coast so its keeps us slightly warmer in the winter and we don't get as severe frosts so hopefully ok

05/03/2014 at 13:45

The seeds that have germinated include; varieties of peppers, aubergines, celeriac, sweet peas and basil. The Lisianthus that I'm growing for the first time this year may be just about to do it's thing. It's all such a wonderful adventure each spring.

email image
61 to 73 of 73 messages