London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 73 messages
06/02/2014 at 19:28

If you have. What have you sown?                                                                            Thinking of sowing my next week. Aubergines, Celery, Peppers, spring onions, peas.

Then the last week in Feb sow, Tomatoes, cucumber, courgettes, sweetcorn and swedes. Then some more of the same in march.  This will all take over my kitchen until they can go outside. ha ha. Im in the south east, What do you think? too early?

06/02/2014 at 21:32

Sweet peas, Begonia so far. Will be sowing lobelia the end of this month. Mainly sow in march however. I'm not sure if its too early I often find things this time of year struggle with lack of light and become leggy. I'm growing the begonia seeds under lights at the minute.

06/02/2014 at 21:46

I've not sown any seeds yet, have spuds chitting though. Probably won't start until March and then the heated propogator comes out.

06/02/2014 at 21:49

No, I haven't sown any seeds yet either, as the light levels are so poor.  However, come March and I'll be raring to go with a variety of veg and flowers. 

06/02/2014 at 22:23
06/02/2014 at 22:57

I was thinking of sowing a few on Sunday. It can't hurt can it  

06/02/2014 at 23:20

I'm going to try starting a few chilli and sweet pepper seeds in my new homemade propagator in a week or two as they need a long growing season.  I'll only sow a quarter of the seeds though, just in case they don't survive transfer to my unheated conservatory.  That's much warmer than the cold greenhouse but not sure it will be good enough.  I have plenty of seed this year so it's worth the risk I think. 

06/02/2014 at 23:26

Yes.  I was in the local B&Q and spotted a multi packet of sweet peas.  I bought a packet.  Just a week ago I sowed them in deep pots.  Already the shoots are showing.

Might I add a word here.  Today thanks to modern technology etc.  Seed packets etc usually have a sowing, planting, height, spread etc printed.  Take time to consider.  Depending upon your own personal circumstances.  Most seeds are considered best sown in March.  Try and visualize it.  You have been out shopping. I like that, and that, oh yes, that will look good in my garden.  So you make your purchases.  In due couse you sow the seeds.  Now each of these tiny seeds has been blessed with it's own individual code of practice/conduct etc.  In a ver short time you find that your pots, pans, trays, are green with thousands of tiny new plant lives.  In fact what I am trying to say is.  Use the info as a guide.  Then consider how much time you have to spare.  Pricking out is a long job.  Think of all those other seedlings that are growing leggy, whilst you are still on seed tray number one.  Take time.  Space yourself.

06/02/2014 at 23:40

Good advice there Mike!  A tray chock full of leggy seedlings that you didn't have time to prick out is neither use nor ornament as they will rarely grow into decent plants.

07/02/2014 at 00:14

I've started Onions, Sweet Peppers, chillies, Basil, The dwarf Tomatoes that I have space to keep warm and catmint in the hope that will keep my cat from batting the rest of the seedlings.

I think it might be a bit soon for cucumbers especially because you don't usually get many seeds to use for back ups.

07/02/2014 at 08:53

Chilli peppers are in. No signs of life yet but the seeds are a little (lot) past their optimum. Wait and see I guess. Plenty of time to re do them. My windowsills will soon look like a greenhouse. Maybe that will gee on my  h2b to clear some of our jungle for a greenhouse. 

07/02/2014 at 10:18

Only onions and Chillies so far, going well so far

07/02/2014 at 20:41

Mike, thank you for those words of wisdom.  I am more disciplined these days, but it is easy to get carried away. 

07/02/2014 at 21:01

Currently sitting on my hands - I always start off seeds too early. Good advice above. I am  not going to start too early this year. I repeat I am not going to start too early this year...

07/02/2014 at 21:36

I've sown tomatoes chilli and sweet peas in trays sitting nicely on the window sill. I've also grown potatoes in a bag as an experiment but will grow the rest directly on the allotment, chitting very nicely at the moment.

08/02/2014 at 06:47

I'm going to sow some summer bedding plants for my hanging baskets today 

I did think about sowing direct in the hanging baskets but I don't have room to hang 7 baskets indoors, also I've bought some plug plants this week (fuchsia delta Sarah) that need potting up

Clueless

08/02/2014 at 11:11

I'm waiting a couple of weeks till light levels and day length get better.  I've been caught before sowing too soon and then having to cope with leggy seedlings.    Can't use the greenhouse till April when I can start taking out the big pots of plants stored for winter protection.

08/02/2014 at 12:48

I've sown lots and put them out to get  chilled but they're getting  drowned instead

10/02/2014 at 08:48

I am growing bedding Lobelia from seed for the first time this year. Now they have germinated should I give them a feed? They're in sterile compost. If so should I use tomato fertiliser or miracle grow and at what strength?

10/02/2014 at 09:18

no need yet ashleigh

you would be better to wait until you can repot to a bigger pot and use a MP compost for about 6 weeks than you can start to feed

Clueless

1 to 20 of 73 messages