London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
11 messages
03/05/2012 at 19:24

Hello,

I'm new to planting veg. So far I am growing- Pea's, Carrots, Potatoes, Onions and Tomatoes.

What else is good to plant in May and what is the best way to grow it (apart from in the ground)?

Thanks for your help

Carl

03/05/2012 at 19:28

Start sowing french and runner beans soon-watch out frosts are being predicted.

03/05/2012 at 19:32

Thats good because I got some of them today. Anything else?

Thanks

03/05/2012 at 21:15

Any containers will do try growing patty pan & baby courgettes very easy to grow and delicious.

03/05/2012 at 21:28

purple sprouting but will need staking . you can either have summer or spring varietes.

03/05/2012 at 22:29

Try some leeks and celery good luck and enjoy

03/05/2012 at 23:10

Grow different varieties of lettuce in large pots, also spinach, so you can pick young leaves for salads - sow seeds every couple of weeks throughout the year!  Much healthier and tastier than those you buy at the supermarket!

04/05/2012 at 06:52

Our family favourite is mange tout great as baby veg in stir fries but also makes the best soup when they get too big!

04/05/2012 at 15:54

Rocket is easy to grow and lovely in salads. I also love sugar snap peas - yum!

04/05/2012 at 16:31

I'd avoid celery if you're new to veg as it's tricky and there's a lot of work involved. Courgettes are great but no more than two plants unless you really really like them. Butternut squash is dead easy and stores well. Beetroot - both for leaves and root, but pick when golfball sized. Sweetcorn too if the ground ever warms up (start in pots now). Tastes totally different to the shop stuff. Turnip and it's big brother Swede are also worthwhile if you have some space.

06/05/2012 at 21:41

All good choices Carl although good luck with the carrots. I couldn't grow them if my life depended on it.  

If you are growing in pots,salad plants like radish,lettuse leaves and spring onion are easy peasy, quick growing and require little care other than watering.

Dwarf varieties of peas are also ideal for pot growing, bush tomartoes do well in pots and some cherry varieties will crop for Britian if you choose the one's which have a shorter growing season.  

If you are growing for the first time a good book for reference is an excellent starting point. I've found gardening mags good too, the one's with a veg growing section will give tips on how to grow stuff. GW's mag has a good section.  

email image
11 messages