Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Herb Garden Essentials

ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I might have already asked this - as you know I have an issue with my memory and so often forget things. Predominately I've forgotten where I put the list of herbs I want to put in my herb garden area (it must be with that winning lottery ticket).

What herbs do you consider essential in your herb garden? Both for using in the kitchen but also for adding colour and exciting the senses when you're enjoying the garden.

So far I have waiting to go in:

• Thyme (never flowered before - they're so beautiful!)
  • Rosemary (by the kitchen door but I'll also put some in the garden)
  • Mint (in a pot where its staying!)
  • Water mint in the pond (again in a pot that I can lift to trim the roots)
  • Bronze fennel (not sure what you do with this - it was saved from future MIL garden and has been sat in a pot ever since)
  • Sage (grown from seed and still quite tiny)
  • Chives (inc garlic chive)
  • Oregano (found some seeds and planted them - now to work out what I can do with the plants!)

I want:

• Chamomile

What would you add to the collection if you could for year long interest?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Sage for stuffing.

Chives

Lots of mint... spearmint for mojitos and pimms. Applemint for mint sauce.

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Basil, although you need the outdoor seeds if you are growing outdoors, and coriander.  I grow stacks, and then whizz in the liquidiser in either water or olive oil and freeze into cubes in an ice tray.  Bit of a phaff, but soooo worth it for Mediterranean and Thai and Indian dishes - you'll thank yourself next time you're cooking.  Of course, you have to re-sow every year, but the coriander leaves are good in salads, and when they go to seed, collect those to grind for spice or plant next year.  Parsley too come to think  of it!!

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Thanks for the suggestions. I've basil in a pot at home but its looking a little sorry for itself so might be replaced with a shop brought one (I've had great success planting a shop brought one before).

Coriander and parsley - good idea! I wouldn't have thought of those but parsley often is mentioned in recipes (and instantly ignored as I don't have any!)

I hadn't thought of different types of mint (I've three but have no idea what they are - other than one being water mint. One is big and bushy and generally growing like mad the other one quite small leafed and much more delicate in danger of being swamped by the larger). That's an excellent idea (not a mojitos drinker but the family are!)

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

.I'm surprised Marjoram isn't on your list... I wouldn't be without that one... evergreen and pretty flowers about to open soon..makes a nice little plant for a container...and my favourite herb to add for cooking I think, along with Greek Oregano... Lemon Thyme is another..although I find that difficult to keep going..

Is Marjoram similar to Oregano? I'm afraid my knowledge of plants is a very limited but when I google search Marjoram Oregano appears? I will have to investigate further on this. Thank you for sharing your ideas - I must find out what kind of Oregano the one I have now is! (I've not harvested any yet to taste - I'm afraid after all the growing plants from seeds I get a little upset about having to cut them!)

Ooh Lemon Thyme that's an idea.

Just in case it helps the herb garden will be going in a sheltered area partly shaded by the apple tree. This picture shows the garden in January:

We'll have two greenhouses (yay!) side by side in the area where there's currently one (in black) so the herb area (in purple) will be very protected from winds coming off the open play field behind us. I'll be able to nip over the hideous patio straight from the kitchen door to harvest when we're cooking image

Oooh didn't see you there Phillippa! I will have lavender growing all the up the footpath (in the area marked yellow) so there will be plenty of that fortunately (I love the smell of lavender).

I'll try the fennel out next time I cook a fish dish. We're meant to be having a full fish on the BBQ on Sunday to maybe now is my chance! image

I'm scared if I get too close to the pond they'll drag me in!

Fortunately my (now 7) real gold fish in the pond are a little more suited to the scale (if insistent on eating every plant in the pond as if I don't feed them twice a day with luxurious pellets!) image

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..this is where Latin names come in handy... I've just checked my plant labels and you are quite right that Marjoram is a kind of Oregano, but I always call it Marjoram...  I have Oreganum vulgare 'Compactum' variety, which is a small growing type, that is usually sold as..guess what...'Marjoram compact' on the label..lol !

... the Greek Oregano is Oreganum vulgare 'hirtum'... and is quite a different plant for me..different flavour too.. and not so easy to maintain but worth it I think...I rarely cook anything savoury without adding a little...

..of the two.. Greek Oregano has the slightly stronger flavour..and burns a little on the tongue..when eaten straight off the plant...the foliage is also a lighter colour..

..do try it if you can...

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi! What about bay? I know its a shrub/tree thingy, but its used loads image

Ive also got lemon balm, i think that might be for keeping bugs away, ive got a terrible memory too!

Borage is a pretty and easy to grow herb, i believe its used in pimms, i wouldnt know, ill save you some seeds if you want image
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

I thought wild marjoram was oregano and sweet marjoram was something else... I know I got confused/ disappointed when I ended up buying sweet not wild.

Love your pic Clari- it made me smile image. Pity we don't live nearby as I'm ousting my herb patch...

Wearside, England.