London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 17°C
18 messages
23/04/2014 at 17:53
Can anyone tell me what honeyberries are please? I recently bought a plant that says; " It is like a blueberry but sweeter" on the wrapper
23/04/2014 at 17:56

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=728

I didn't know but google found plenty of references. Odd looking things

23/04/2014 at 18:21

I have a few of those in fairly large pots and the two year old ones have just about finished flowering so hoping for the first fruit from them later in the year - if so, I'll report back in a few weeks!

23/04/2014 at 18:53
Thanks to you both. I googled them
But they look nothing like the picture
on the sleeve of the plant which looks
more like a black currant
23/04/2014 at 19:01

Ah, give me a minute

23/04/2014 at 19:10

I can't find it but there was a thread a while back about a fruit that was from one of the yellow flowered ribes. A cultivar or a hybrid or something that had larger fruit.

Do the leaves look like a currant (ish)

23/04/2014 at 19:11

Have you got a photo?

23/04/2014 at 19:16

The only Honeyberry I've heard of is Lonicera caerulea I've got four, they're not self-fertile so you need two. Don't know what else it can be and that is how Honeyberries are usually described. 

23/04/2014 at 20:50

Hi Herby try this for help from RHS http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=728   Honey berry are good for people who struggle with blueberries, you need more than one for good fruiting, it is in fact an edible Honeysuckle, being a new type of plant in this country there's not too much known as they come from the Siberian areas, my local G/C assures me this is the most popular fruit seller plant of the year good luck

24/04/2014 at 00:27
All interesting thank you so much
The plant has now been taken to the allotment
but I will ask my son to take a picture.
All I could find was that it is an 'edible type of honeysuckle '
24/04/2014 at 16:01
herbgarden2 wrote (see)

All I could find was that it is an 'edible type of honeysuckle '

Then it's Lonicera caerulea.  Like apples, plums, tomatoes, etc. what variety you have, if you even have a named variety will determine how it tastes and how big the fruit are, but you will need a pollinating partner just with most apples. 

24/04/2014 at 17:14
I looked for another today but that was
the last one Hope they get some more in soon
They sound nice though, nice to have a
change. I have bought a lovely large
recurrant too so I have two now in the garden
Thanks for all your advice folks
25/04/2014 at 08:28

And the bees love the honeyberry, Every time I look at mine there's a bee buzzing around it yet we're still hardly seeing any bees, but there'll be one on the honeyberry. Unfortunately I've only got one that's in flower so I'll be really lucky to see any fruit this year. Fingers crossed. I got mine from Larch Cottage, but the last two I bought were abused something rotten by the currier, the box looked like it had been used as a football and the plants inside looked like they'd been in a tumble drier set to high. When I complained they just said, 'Oh, it does look like it's been in a boxing ring.' and that was that, and that took them a week to get back. I was furious. Badly damaged plants and they didn't give a stuff, they did offer to give me a refund for the plants AS LONG AS the plants arrived in as good a condition as when they left the nursery! And HOW was that going to happen. I am disputing that with the credit card company so I really don't recommend you use Larch Cottage unless you use a good credit card company that will back you up if anything goes wrong. The first plant the sold me was really old and badly pruned, they did warn me about it but that was the only one left in the country that I could find so I took it, they wouldn't offer any discount for that either. They're not a nice company to deal with!!!

25/04/2014 at 08:57
Thanks for the warning. Most of my plants come
from the market. The man travels from Lincolnshire twice a week and his plants are superb, but the honeyberry was found in the local "cheap "shop, they look after their plants
Unlike unlike some. so are worth looking at but the plants
Are not first class so need a lot of TCL
25/04/2014 at 09:07

I took some cuttings from the un-named one I got from Primrose, (it had been pruned really badly and looked like a squirrels nest), they look like they might take so you could always put a request out next winter for cuttings from named varieties, named for their fruit, that is, like Atut, Duet, Fialka... They're supposed to be the best varieties for healthy fruit. I mean fruit that's good for you, packed with vitamins and antioxidants rather than just tasting or looking nice.

25/04/2014 at 19:05
Interesting, unfortunately there was no name
specified on this one
25/04/2014 at 19:38
herbgarden2 wrote (see)
Interesting, unfortunately there was no name
specified on this one

Yeah, I've got an un-named one L. c. kamchatica which is the subspecies. 

26/04/2014 at 00:21

Well Jim , we will have to wait and see   perhaps give our plants our own names ---if they prove to be good or poor !

email image
18 messages