London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
6 messages
19/04/2013 at 10:05

How long does honey fungus last in soil? My sister had some in a corner of her garden. She hasn't grown anything there for a few years. She has turned the soil over and left it fallow.

19/04/2013 at 10:14

It needs woody roots to live on So I suppose it goes if it hasn't got any. But you don't need to leave the site empty. Lots of things don't get honey fungus. Christopher Lloyd, in one of his books, said no monocot gets it. 

So you can have all the bulbs and the grasses with no problems. I have honey fungus, a couple of trees died of it several years ago but the only other plants to have succumbed were a couple of clematis. I only assume the clematis died of it cos I couldn't see another reason, Loads of different herbaceous perennials are growing in the area plus a large unidentified conifer. Baby ashes are groing well, (self set) right around the dead stumps, which are enormous and no way will I be removing them. Fruiting bodies of the HF appear here and there. I wait and see. I had a major panic when I first saw it though. Must be 6 or 7 years now.

19/04/2013 at 11:21

Honey fungus spreads by long black tendrils in the dround which wrap themselves around the roots. It is one of the worlds largest fungus and acn spread for miles.

maintaining soil health heps reduce its effect as does taking care to plant less susceptible plants.

I was surprised as clematis is supposed to be less prone to it

This thread may also be helpful

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/honey-fungus-what-to-grow/78464.html

It tends to not affect perennials as they have a root system that is not so deep.

Hope this helps

19/04/2013 at 11:52

May not have been HF on the clematis Matty, just seemed the most likely in my mind.

19/04/2013 at 16:00

Thank you for your comments.

You seem to agree with my thoughts, avoid planting anything woody in the area until the threads disappear.

19/04/2013 at 17:23

I used to have a semi-wild woodland and at one time I was sure I had Honey Fungus, lots of honey coloured toadstools clustered round the base of birch trees. I panicked, bought loads of armillotix, searched everywhere for the bootlaces, peeled off bark looking for the telltale mycelium. discovered a couple of years later that itwas an entirely different (and harmless) fungus. The toadstools didn't have the collar on the stems underneath the cap. 

email image
6 messages