London (change)
Today 16°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 12°C
6 messages
14/07/2014 at 00:04

Anyone grow their own hops for beer making?  This might be something we'd like to do.

14/07/2014 at 07:40

You have seen them growing in Kent, maybe? Six metre high poles with wires strung between them? and all that pulling down to the ground when they have flowered?

I don't suppose they have to be frown in such a mechanical fashion, but I do know that they have extremely sticky, scratchy and razor sharp stems and they would wrap themselves around any tree with enthusiasm. Very difficult to harvest.

But a pretty plant if left alone, though very rampant and invasive.

14/07/2014 at 08:08

my husband bought some seeds this year and wanted me to grow them for the same reason. However they are not easy seeds to grow needing x2 cold periods !! i may give it a go next year

12/06/2015 at 08:17

Has anybody tried to grow them this year ?

20/06/2015 at 14:14

My husband grows his own hops for his beer making.  fuggles is his favourite. It's a rampant plant likes plenty of manure when it was in the veg patch it looked as if it wanted to take over. It is now in a large pot ready for a different site in the autumn. The drying was a bit difficult but they turned out ok and the beer tastes good.  it is growing up a tall pole and you take it down for harvesting. Dies back in winter and has a mulch for protection. Needs plenty of food

20/06/2015 at 14:34

I have a hop plant by the door and I love it. It's kind of rough and scratchy but not in a really threatening way. It grows and spreads FAST, but since the young shoots in spring make such lovely vegetables we don't mind it. It's a good plant to cover an arbour or pergola that you only need in summer.

It was planted if a hole with plenty of manure, and being by the door it othen gets watered with salad washing water, pasta water, or anything that comes out of the kitchen. It does like the extra drink, I think. It's a cutting I took from a plant in a swamp.

email image
6 messages