London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
12 messages
12/03/2013 at 22:57

This will be the first time I have ever grown potatoes. I am growing them in bags, as my Mother has been extremely sucessful with this method. Her Potatoes last year tasted gorgeous and my Husband and I loved going round to dinner!

I took my seed poatoes out of their cool dark place today to start chitting them. Only problem is that over the past week, they decided to sprout short white shoots.

According to the chitting advice, the potatoes are supposed to be turned eyes up towards the light. Does this now mean the shoots? Problem is that several potatoes have sprouted shoots at both ends. Which end do I encourage the chitting on with?

Thanks in advance to any advice I receive.

13/03/2013 at 03:32

Eyes are where shoots sprout from. both ends 

they should be fine though chitting is not required.

13/03/2013 at 10:37

Eyes are where the shoots grow from. The shoots are white because of being in the dark. You decide which way up you want to plant the potato (where there are good eyes on top) and you can rub off the other shoots, if you want, leaving 3 or 4 good eyes or shoots per potato. If there are good shoots or eyes at each end then you can plant them lengthways so that each shoot each end can grow up. The shoots, once the potatoes are planted will all grow up anyway, even if they have to grow round the potato a bit. They seem to know where the light is. Early potatoes, according to trials, are best chitted. Doesn't make so much difference for later crops.

13/03/2013 at 11:37

Shoots = chits = shoots = chits.  They are just two names for the same things.

13/03/2013 at 12:24

The easiest way to chit potaoes is to stand them on end in egg boxes on a cool, light, not sunny, window sill. Mine are on a North facing bathroom window sill with no heating.

If you want large potaoes rub off all but three of the eyes/shoots/buds. If some of the potaoes have shoots at both end, rub off all of  them on  one end of the seed potato. They can be planted in their bags when the shoots are about 1 1/2 ins. long or when all danger of frost is over. I grow mine in an assotment of containers, from plastic pots to half, plastic compost sacks. Just cut the sacks in half and make drainage holes in the bottom. Much cheaper than buying containers.

13/03/2013 at 14:03

Sacks,container just reduce production even if they make it bit easier to grow.

More eyes you have the more potatoes you will get. number eyes does not deciede the size of the tubers. that is determined by how long there are in the ground and the potato variety. you will never get baking size potatoes off a fingerling variety.

13/03/2013 at 15:22

Pebble Garden why are you not growing potatoes in the ground? Is it because your garden is the same as your name? You can grow many more and more successfully in the ground, but if you don't have the space you do have the option of growing them in bags.

13/03/2013 at 17:44
square foot wrote (see)

Sacks,container just reduce production even if they make it bit easier to grow.

More eyes you have the more potatoes you will get. number eyes does not deciede the size of the tubers. that is determined by how long there are in the ground and the potato variety. you will never get baking size potatoes off a fingerling variety.

you've made 4 'square foot' accounts now, planning something john cobb?

13/03/2013 at 19:37

You're a braver man than me BrummieBen (but then I'm not a man!) - that was my first thought on the 'Pineberry'  thread

13/03/2013 at 19:39

A suggestion -can we let this drift away downstream

13/03/2013 at 19:43

Agreed

14/03/2013 at 01:04

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Told you it was the first time I had ever grown potatoes. I was not sure if there was a root end and a shoot end or not. Great news to hear that I can just plant the double sprouters level.

My Garden is very small. No room for a vegetable patch, which is why we are growing potatoes in bags.  More for the tasty treat than for quantity!

email image
12 messages