London (change)
Today 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 100 messages
29/09/2013 at 07:59

I've grown some old favourites and some new varieties this year - some have been successful, and some less so.

Runner Beans - I grew Wisley Magic for the second year running - last year they did well in an atrocious season.  This year, after a slow start they're cropping amazingly well - prolific trusses of long straight flat beans - really show quality, virtually stringless and with a fantastic proper runner bean flavour.  I will be growing these again next year.

Courgettes - Last year I grew Parador yellow courgettes and had a really good crop, again in an awful summer.  I couldn't get the seeds this year so have grown Soleil, but have been disappointed.  Lovely looking plants, no mildew to speak of, but a poor crop really.  I shall be searching out Parador for next year.

Broad Beans - I planted Aquadulce Claudia direct into the veg patch last October - they grew well and stood up to about 2 ft of snow for over 2 months.  We had a really good crop of tasty beans in early June.  I've ordered some more seeds.

Swiss Chard - This summer I've been growing Lucullus - fantastic!  Much bigger and better plants and more tender and tastier than the ruby chard I've grown in the past.  I've sown some more for autumn/spring picking and have ordered more seed for next year.

29/09/2013 at 09:36
Mini munch cucumbers - lost count of the number we have had from two plants. They taste delicious ( who'd have thought a cucumber could taste of anything but water) and are just the right size for a sandwich.

Won't bother with Ailsa Craig tomatoes (tasteless and mushy) - but will do Marmande again
29/09/2013 at 09:59

Won't grow,Sungold,tomatoes again. Not a patch on gardemers delight, skins cracked (normal for Sungold  apparently) and the taste was sickly sweet.  

Grew white lady beans....think I have had better varieties 

Grew monogerm Beetroot ......minimises thinning and been successful

Prob grow less, or even not grow at all, cosmos.  Have grown them for years but perennials give better value.  Grow more heleniums and cannas and add couple more grasses.  To discard plants that dont perform.....mainly varieties.  E.g. Couple of dahlias not good enough and will get rid of aster horizontallis (better varieties)

Grow more hot chillis.  

Good thread Dove 

29/09/2013 at 10:02

Cheers Verd 

I've grown three Chilli Apache plants bought as tinies from GC - growing outside in pots on the terrace they're producing like mad and what a well-flavoured chilli - really impressed.  Never grown any chillis successfuly before.

29/09/2013 at 17:41

Mixed bag this year. Marmande toms always deliver and will grow a few next season mainly outside. Tried Harbinger under glass this year but unimpressed with taste, also Yellow Brandywine which ARE tastey but have never produced a decent crop for me. Love 'black' varieties  and grew Carbon again  and continue to be impressed. Good few mediocre croppings in containers, esp Numex chilli, which I blame on cheap compost error (I will splash out next time). Outside, a dwarf variety of Borlotti beans my biggest waste of time/effort, and don't really know why. Annoying!

29/09/2013 at 17:57

I as talking about this with the much beloveds dad, Spud went mad this year, Maris piper, and they where tasty! peas did really well, Bingo, Sunflowers where huge, we had 5 or 6 bees sleeping on them overnight while they were in flower, marigolds and nastusiums also did really well.

We where disappointed with the corn but better than last year! and I have one lonely little butternut squash which I will savour when it's ripe. The garlic was really small but I suspect that was more down to operator error than natural influence

29/09/2013 at 17:58

Will grow Sungold tomatoes next year, love the sweet flavour and they cracked less than Gardener's Delight. Will grow mangetout peas again, they were great. Beetroot, Detroit, were a total failure. Don't grow brassicas any more, from this year, they never work. Think my topsoil is too thin, limestone rock underneath. The pink flowered Toscana strawberries were very pretty but the flavour wasn't a patch on the white flowered ones and they were sharp.

Will grow Cosmos next year as Verdun explained what to do to make them bushy. Will grow more annuals from seed and buy fewer plug plants, especially as OH has given me a new cold frame which is just outside the kitchen, near a power point.

Won't ever grow chillis, don't like them, neither the flavour, nor the heat. Can't see what the fuss is about. Apparently there are chilli festivals in the UK, can't see that happening in France. 

29/09/2013 at 19:32

My tomatoes are finally doing very well indeed. Bumper crop but they're taking forever to ripen (although its now 50/50 ripe/unripe). Most varieties i'm very happy with (names escaping me just now though) but one I won't be bothering with again are Roma's. Very disappointing, watery and tasteless. They offer a lot of promise when they're all read and shiny but in reality a thumbs down from me. 

29/09/2013 at 21:02

Grew sweet peppers for the first time and they were great, so definately on for next year. Also grew cerinthe and they were lovely too - adored by bees. My chocolate cosmos eventually became a stunning plant so I hope I can keep it over winter under a blanket of straw!

29/09/2013 at 21:19

Have already stopped growing Jerusalem artichokes for reasons of wind.

Was sent some free seed potatoes from Fothergills called Blue Belle and I've never know a spud be so prolific. From about 20 seed tubers I ended up with three wheelbarrows full of the most beautiful large shiny clean spuds. It's a maincrop and I don't normally bother with maincrop in order to avoid blight but as they were free I gave then a go and with it being so dry and sunny this year the maincrop spuds have been great. I'll be ordering some more for next year and will hope for a similar summer. Second earlies were good too (Vivaldi) great taste and will be re-ordering for next year, can't understand why they are not more well known.

Always have success with celery (Tango) so will be sowing them again next year. Other than that I like to try new things so I'll be experimenting again next year, part of the fun innit?

29/09/2013 at 21:36

Courgettes definatley, first time for any veg. Grew some wilkos seed in a couple of large containers, really enjoyed picking them. No mildew that I could see but I would have like a few more,  mange touts as well

29/09/2013 at 22:31

Chilli apache have done really well in GH two yrs running. I'm not impressed with  golden sunrise toms. Tasteless and too watery.

Courgettes - black beauty and all green bush did well. Yellow Zucchini ok. After trying them in pots last yr, all grew better this yr in the ground after soil was well manured in autumn, will try all again. . 

Aubergines - black beauty will grow again.  Chad -any variety seems to do well. Betroot - detroit did well, burpus gold not so well but I'm trying it again next year and I've a new variety to try from France.  

Might try fennel again to use up the seeds but I can't get the bulbs to bulk out best I've achieved are very flat bulbs with lots of top growth which is fine to use as a herb.

Could go on forever about veg, and don't like to say never again but brussels, carrots and big brassica's are a no, no for me.

Will grow foxglove again but not as many, didn't realise how big they'd grow. Bellis, cosmos and sweet william will all be grown again. I'm gonna grow sunflowers too but the smaller multi headed varieties. I've found flowers trickier to grow from seed and won't be growing anything which says sow in Jan, Feb or March in the flower department.

29/09/2013 at 22:42
Heather Michaels wrote (see)

one I won't be bothering with again are Roma's. Very disappointing, watery and tasteless. They offer a lot of promise when they're all read and shiny but in reality a thumbs down from me. "

Heather, I only use Roma for making tomato sauce. I fry onions, peel the Romas, add to the onions and cook until a thick sauce. Then I freeze it in small plastic bags and ice cube trays to use in dishes for winter. My Roma are fleshy, not watery and don't have many seeds.

29/09/2013 at 22:44

What did I do wrong? My bit (above) is included in the quote. Should have a blue background.

29/09/2013 at 23:49

Grew White Lady Runner beans - very dis-satisfied with an almost no show crop. Will grow a courgette fron T&M called Venus again - fairly compact plants and plentty of tasty courgettes, also grew Floridor a yellow ball type and will do again if I can locate seeds

Disappointed with autumn raspberries - un tidy and the crop so far is not good. may dig them up, may just re-plant in a less obvious place

Aubergine - best yet - was Bonica

Am going have a complete re-think about tomatoes for next year, non I feel have been exceptional

30/09/2013 at 07:51
Matty2 wrote (see)

Disappointed with autumn raspberries - un tidy and the crop so far is not good. may dig them up, may just re-plant in a less obvious place.....

Oh, what a shame - we're enjoying a fabulous crop from our 3 Polka autumn raspberries - picking enough for the two of us every other day.  They get a bit windswept so I'm tying them to the fence. 

30/09/2013 at 08:01
Verdun wrote (see)

Won't grow,Sungold,tomatoes again. Not a patch on gardemers delight, skins cracked (normal for Sungold  apparently) and the taste was sickly sweet.  

Grew white lady beans....think I have had better varieties 

Grew monogerm Beetroot ......minimises thinning and been successful

Prob grow less, or even not grow at all, cosmos.  Have grown them for years but perennials give better value.  Grow more heleniums and cannas and add couple more grasses.  To discard plants that dont perform.....mainly varieties.  E.g. Couple of dahlias not good enough and will get rid of aster horizontallis (better varieties)

Grow more hot chillis.  

Good thread Dove 

And I'm going to grow them from seed for the first time ( previously I've always had some plants from a friend - now moved) - the GC near work was selling last season's seeds off cheap, and I found Cosmos Antiquity 50p for 30 seeds  http://www.sarahraven.com/shop/cosmos-antiquity.html so I'll gve them a go - do they need a bit of heat to start? I might need to get a heat pad. 

30/09/2013 at 08:08

I did some toms from seed for the first time this year and was delighted with how easy it was Dove. Enjoyed the Moneymaker ones which have been very consistent so will grow them from seed I htink, but the Red Alerts were a bit watery. May have had something to do with the weather etc this year though. 

Will grow Cupani sweet peas again (as usual) next year- not sure about Cathy. Scent was wonderful but the flowers were a bit muddy. May try some other whites/creams instead.

May grow more from seed in general I think. 

30/09/2013 at 08:15

Hungarian black chillies have done really well and are tasty without anaestetising teh palette so will grow again.  However Habanero Tobago seasoning failed to germinate and produced just one plant that died early despite being sown and potted on in the same conditions.

Tumbler toms produced OK but were bland.  Russian Blacks were good.

No success with home sown beets but good results with plugs.   Ditto fennel.  Home sown broccoli and purple sprouting all good and the red cabbages and radicchio plugs have done well too.   Didn't get around to sowing courgettes or pumpkins cos of the new feet and haven't really missed them but I'll grow some next year in a newly cleared bed.

30/09/2013 at 11:38

we've still got sweetpeas coming through, and a shed load of them too. I've never picked them, just left them to do their own thing, they where planted as a filler against a fence until I got my sticky mitts on a thornless beackberry ..... perish the tought of what would have happend if I'd of picked them to encourage new flowers like my grandpa used to!

1 to 20 of 100 messages