6 messages
30/09/2013 at 09:59

hi could anyone tell me how to grow red peppers from seed indoors,i saw the seeds when cutting my pepper in half and thought umm wonder if i can grow peppers from them but dont know how to,could anyone help thanks x

30/09/2013 at 10:43

Well, yes you can grow them - a well-lit conservatory or a greenhouse will be needed - and you need properly harvested seeds from fruit that have been allowed to ripen while still on the vines, and a variety that has been developed to produce well in home-growing conditions in the UK.  

Lots of info here http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Veg-A-to-Z/Peppers-including-chillies

If you've got the right sort of place why not pop into a garden centre next spring and buy two or three seedling plants to start with - then you can pot them on and get used to what sort of care they need - then if you've been successful with harvesting some fruit, then the following year if you've still got the 'Pepper Bug' you can buy some suitable seeds and get sowing 

I don't have a conservatory or greenhouse so I bought some chilli plants this spring and grew them on in pots on my patio - brilliant - will do it again next year.  Bell peppers can be moved outside into a sheltered spot if we're lucky with the summer again next year, once the weather has warmed up

Lyn
30/09/2013 at 19:40

I only ever grow my peppers from seeds from a bought pepper. Buy a fresh one next March pop seeds in little pots, i put one in each yoghurt pot, they are up in a short time, i always grow them in the conservatory.

I have had loads so far this year, its been nice and warm.

One year i tried keeping the seeds but they didnt germinate the following spring, seems they are best sown fresh

01/10/2013 at 09:39

The only thing about sowing seeds from bought peppers is that hybrid varieties won't grow true to the parent.

Lyn
01/10/2013 at 12:41

True, but i realy only wanted red, yellow and green ones, am not bothered about the strain. They have had so much fruit on them, i have had a job staking them for the weight.

01/10/2013 at 13:02

Fair enough too, Lyn. I don't know whether they were hybrids or not but did you notice any differences between individual fruits on a plant?

email image
6 messages