Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Inarching update

I just thought I'd update you on the progress of the inarching. As you can see the tree's growing well, and more than I think it ever did. 

The inarches look healed pretty well

And the good news is the graft wasn't dead after all, though I think you'll agree it doesn't look healthy. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I think that's brilliant Jim - thanks for updating us image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Thanks Dove, you're welcome. image

• LilAmbarLilAmbar Posts: 43

Well done.  I had a go at grafting last year and now have some healthy baby Nana's apple trees.  No idea what they actually are but I had to give it a go for H2B as his Nana's bungalow was being sold and the tree is now no more.

Verdun wrote (see)

Always wanted to do grafting myself Jim.  Looks super neat job there. image

Thanks Verdun, you should give it a go then, it really isn't so hard at all.. image

LilAmbar wrote (see)

Well done.  I had a go at grafting last year and now have some healthy baby Nana's apple trees.  No idea what they actually are but I had to give it a go for H2B as his Nana's bungalow was being sold and the tree is now no more.

That's a sad story with a happy ending though. It's such a great feeling to know you don't have to lose those precious plants. image

Just to show they're still doing well and not a too embarrassing crop for a small tree, Picked a couple already but this one's best left until November. It's thrown up another sucker too. I'm letting it grow so I can take it off in the winter hopefully it will have some root of its own. Nice to graft something interesting on then give them away to friends. 

I just noticed those nasty snags. They've been there since I bought it. I'm off to tidy those up. image  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Thanks for updating us JIm - fascinating image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

You're welcome Dove, glad you found it interesting.  image