Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Indoor stylish hydroponics?

Hey guys. What a pleasure meeting you all. 

I am working on a project with a vision to enable city dwellers to experience a bit of gardening indoor. And would love to hear your thoughts on it. 

Its a beautiful, automated hydroponic system which you control from your smartphone. 

For more advanced gardeners there is an option to control all the climate variables as well as irrigation and light from your smartphone. 

There is also an option to create your own growing settings. So if you want to experiment or grow tropical foods then you can create your own and share it with the community. 

The ideas is to enable everybody to grow their own food. Those with no time, knowledge, space to inspire and educate and to make food personal again. 

Let me know what do you think. Our humble landing page is here http://www.growot.com/

but you can reach me at [email protected]

Hate it. Love it. Would really appreciate your thoughts

• Hey Edd, Coins? image

• If you are talking about sale we are far away from actually selling it.

We are looking into maybe doing a Kickstarer at some point but this is really a prototype.

I am looking for feedback at this stage image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

What will happen with the highly nutritious water used for the hydroponic growing? After it is used, it will be poured away. It will then enter eventually into the waterways, carrying all those nutrients...and all the water plants will grow and grow and de-oxygenate the water and the river will be deadimage

That is your bed time story for tonight children.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Indoor ecologically and ethically sound hydroponics without an app http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Bean-Sprouts-Indoors image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Hydroponics has its uses. I know two people using it. One on Christmas Island has  shade tunnels full. They are raised off the ground because anything growing at ground level is eaten by the red crabs They grow tomatoes and other salad veg, because flying in fresh fruit and veg adds ten australian dollars per kilo to the cost. Same cost on Cocos Keeling island (same plane!!!) and so  one of the islanders is starting to do it for the same reason.  Fruit and veg sent by ship can be rotten before they get it.

However if you live in a city, with truckloads coming in to the supermarkets daily, its just not cost effective.

...and nothing beats the taste of just picked home grown(in soil in your own back garden or allotment)