12 messages
22/07/2013 at 13:13

Add your SALAD IDEAS to this forum !

Creative and original, or tried and tested...

22/07/2013 at 14:28

Given to me by a Mexican girl a long time ago and loved by evryone who tries it.

Chicken Salad Habanera

1 and a half cups of cooked chicken in strips

1 cup of chopped black olives

1 ripe avocado

one third of a green pepper in strips

one quarter of a red onion finely chopped

4 cups of iceberg lettuce in pieces

combine these in a bowl with the exception of the avocado.

Add a dressing of:

one third of a cup of good quality olive oil

one quarter of a cup of wine vinegar

one quartermof a cup of lemon juice

1 teaspoon salt

half a teaspoon of pepper

one tablespoon of sugar

quarter of a teaspoon of minced garlic

Combine the dressing and the salad. Chill for an hour or so, and throw on the avocado at the moment you serve it.

Since being given this recipe I have become a vegetarian and still make it minus the chicken using cheese such as emmenthal instead.

22/07/2013 at 19:04

22/07/2013 at 22:34

Baby spinach, crispy bacon and walnuts with sesame oil based dressing ... good with stilton instead of bacon if veggie.

01/08/2013 at 17:52

I've found this useful salad link!

http://www.recipes.vegsoc.org/results.aspx?cMenu=0&keywords=&andor=all&cSalad=yes&submit=Search

01/08/2013 at 18:02

There are definitely some interesting SALAD IDEAS here!

Are there any here that other people like or are inspired by?

01/08/2013 at 19:03

Let a few radishes run to flower. Pick the fresh pods (before they go papery), add them to your green salads.

03/08/2013 at 18:04

Add flowers to your salads. So many are edible and it looks so lovely

Add Nasturtiums and pods when green, Calendula, Borage, Chive flowers, Lawn Daisies, Centaurea cynaus (Cornflower), Basil flowers, Chicory flowers, Courgette flowers, Hemerocallis (daylilies) Fuchias and Evening primroses. Many more are edible thats just a taster 

03/08/2013 at 19:40

addict, do you know if melon flowers are regarded as edible? The net will not tell me ... but they taste like melons and because I have a profusion of male flowers on my plants, I will eat the odd one or two.

I can only find reference to citron melon (colocynth) flowers which are not widespread in the UK. But if a courgette flower can be eaten, why not a melon flower.

Evening primrose I find has a metallic aftertaste that night irritate some folks, so be cautious.

04/08/2013 at 11:34

Sorry Peter I don't but don't see why not. Found this site, whilst looking, which says most fruit flowers are and look at all the others you can eat! Am going to add so many more next time I make one  

http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

04/08/2013 at 11:35

Suppose.... just in case... I should add that don't eat any flower that is roadside or sprayed with nasties!

04/08/2013 at 17:40

Thanks addict, I saw that site and it surprised me, but nowhere can I find a site that positively identifies melon flowers as edible.

And thanks for the caution, better safe than sorry.

email image
12 messages