Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Interplanting

Can anyone suggest what I could plant between my garlic this winter? It is in a raised bed and seems to be shooting nicely. I've already got brassicas doing nicely in the next door bed, but I'm new to winter veg growing and keen to make the most of the space, as I understand the garlic is pretty slow growing.

Love this forum, by the way. It's my first time posting but I've been reading loads! I'm fairly new to gardening, only started 3 years ago but it is now my passion and I don't know how I survived without it before.

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

I read or heard someone say rocket - maybe it was on the show, but I don't know if it wouldn't be a bit late to start it now?  But for next year, maybe winter salad would be the way to go?  I grew garlic from bulbs over last winter, and harvested in July, and my only regret was that I didn't plant enough.  I have planted twice as much this year. 

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I plant my garlic cloves 15cm/ 6inches apart, in rows 30cm/ 12inches apart. If you wanted to grow anything amongst your garlic, you'd need to leave more space between rows which would defeat the purpose of trying to save space by interplanting anyway

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I reckon you could squeeze a few radishes in, in the Springimage

• QPootleQPootle Posts: 12

Thanks Busy Bee2, probably is too late to sow winter salad but maybe I could get some plugs? Might just wait til next winter. There's always something new to try and as this is my first winter growing veg it's probably better to keep things simple. Think I'll just leave the garlic as it is, as I planted them at about the same distances as you, Fleurisa. We do love radishes though, artjak, so I'll definitely pop some of them in early next year. I discoved that they make a great fresh pickle (lasts 2 weeks), which is handy when we have a glut - I always seem to sow far too many. And pickling them stops them going soft, which mine always seem to do within a day of harvesting.