Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is there anything that can go in now for an autumn crop ?

Given the poor weather is supposed be on its way out, is it too late to stick a few things in now and hope for some results ?

I was hoping to plant out some courgettes but the seedlings have succumbed and am wondering if it's worth trying to procure some from elsewhere or not ?

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

I tried to grow chillies from seed this year and by July they were 2 inches high, I ended up buying 2 for a pound at a local nursery, they are now starting to produce peppersimage I would definitely look around to see if any nurseries or GCs still have some veg that can go in.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

Depends how much space you have really. I've just been given an allotment and my first crops going in will be plants to improve and break up the soil, like buckwheat or rye grass. You can however grow onions, garlic and some brassicas over winter. (I don't know which exact varieties but hopefuly someone on here will point us both in the right direction).

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Anything quick growing-salad crops perhaps-radish ,lettuce etc

• beetroot would work, carrots might be worth a bash, if you go for the golf ball ones.

if you buy some established plants, courgettes, toms etc you will prob get some crops image 

• paull2paull2 Posts: 93

Salad crops like pak choi etc are quick growers and don't mind cooler temperatures. I'm just sowing a few things now from desperation, like squash, in the forlorn hope of a decent late summer and autumn (!) and just something to do. The number of plants lost already this year, and those refusing to grow, is like some chernobyl death cloud over the garden. Not encouraging for next year planning is it?.

• RobotRobot Posts: 137

I start my Chinese cabbages now as any sooner and they bolt.  Watch out for cabbage white butterfly though as they will love them - I fleece all my veg which doesn't need pollinating.  As the cabbages grow, tie them loosely with soft twine or raffia to promote that lovely tubular shape.  Scrummy.

If the autumn is prolonged and mild you may get another crop of peas in if you sow them toute suite. 

• Thanks all. I have a bit of space where the early potatoes were lifted. Might try for Pak Choi and see if any local suppliers have any decent sized courgette seedlings.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Beetroot, chad, spinach and radish may still produce a crop before autumn.  Xmas spuds can be planted now, and chicory and kale can be sown in July. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I'm sowing chard and spinach beet now to harvest in the winter.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LokelaniLokelani Posts: 112

I had to grow some more peas & beans & have just planted them out. So fingers crossed.

Also cut & come again lettuce, rocket & peas for pea shoots in seed trays.

Even my established courgettes are coming to nothing & the cucumbers have all been eaten to bare stems by slugs each time they put on new growth, so I'd say it's probably not worth bothering with them now it's so late, unless as others have said you can buy established plants from the garden centre.