London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
18/07/2012 at 15:35

Given the poor weather is supposed be on its way out, is it too late to stick a few things in now and hope for some results ?

I was hoping to plant out some courgettes but the seedlings have succumbed and am wondering if it's worth trying to procure some from elsewhere or not ?

18/07/2012 at 15:50

I tried to grow chillies from seed this year and by July they were 2 inches high, I ended up buying 2 for a pound at a local nursery, they are now starting to produce peppers I would definitely look around to see if any nurseries or GCs still have some veg that can go in.

18/07/2012 at 16:00

Depends how much space you have really. I've just been given an allotment and my first crops going in will be plants to improve and break up the soil, like buckwheat or rye grass. You can however grow onions, garlic and some brassicas over winter. (I don't know which exact varieties but hopefuly someone on here will point us both in the right direction).

18/07/2012 at 16:05

Anything quick growing-salad crops perhaps-radish ,lettuce etc

18/07/2012 at 16:40

beetroot would work, carrots might be worth a bash, if you go for the golf ball ones.

if you buy some established plants, courgettes, toms etc you will prob get some crops  

18/07/2012 at 18:11

Salad crops like pak choi etc are quick growers and don't mind cooler temperatures. I'm just sowing a few things now from desperation, like squash, in the forlorn hope of a decent late summer and autumn (!) and just something to do. The number of plants lost already this year, and those refusing to grow, is like some chernobyl death cloud over the garden. Not encouraging for next year planning is it?.

18/07/2012 at 19:11

I start my Chinese cabbages now as any sooner and they bolt.  Watch out for cabbage white butterfly though as they will love them - I fleece all my veg which doesn't need pollinating.  As the cabbages grow, tie them loosely with soft twine or raffia to promote that lovely tubular shape.  Scrummy.

If the autumn is prolonged and mild you may get another crop of peas in if you sow them toute suite. 

18/07/2012 at 19:33

Thanks all. I have a bit of space where the early potatoes were lifted. Might try for Pak Choi and see if any local suppliers have any decent sized courgette seedlings.

18/07/2012 at 21:23

Beetroot, chad, spinach and radish may still produce a crop before autumn.  Xmas spuds can be planted now, and chicory and kale can be sown in July. 

18/07/2012 at 21:58

I'm sowing chard and spinach beet now to harvest in the winter.

19/07/2012 at 10:41

I had to grow some more peas & beans & have just planted them out. So fingers crossed.

Also cut & come again lettuce, rocket & peas for pea shoots in seed trays.

Even my established courgettes are coming to nothing & the cucumbers have all been eaten to bare stems by slugs each time they put on new growth, so I'd say it's probably not worth bothering with them now it's so late, unless as others have said you can buy established plants from the garden centre. 

19/07/2012 at 16:05

I will try again this year to grow salad bits including radishes. All the seeds i planted rotted in the wet. Very disheartening but i will survive. If i dont keep falling over that is.

19/07/2012 at 17:12

Ooh, Xmas Spuds, hadn't thought of those

19/07/2012 at 19:55

Florence fennel, turnips, dwarf french beans (in the south) and most of the oriental brassicas.You could check out the big seed companies, they will have collections of vegetable plants.

22/07/2012 at 22:24

After watching GW on iplayer tonight and the bit about sowing vegs, check your seed packets and sowing dates, I'm adding to my list of things to sow this week - kohl, swede, carrots and mooli. 

22/07/2012 at 22:45

oh carrots! i have tried twice to grow carrots and they just havnt come up this year so will try again, but will i need a different kind of carrot?

26/07/2012 at 16:06

have been given some onion sets that have started to sprout and i have just put them in-does anyone know if it is worth trying some in a coldframe in big pots over winter?

26/07/2012 at 20:35

Worth a try maybe if you can really insulate things?

Have just sown 2 sorts of kale, 2 sorts of chard & they both should still be ok to pick next Feb. Corn salad too keeps well in the ground. More salad leaves also gone in.

Am also trying dwarf French beans in pots after my runners were well & truely attacked by the slimey bunch. J.

26/07/2012 at 21:07

I sowed some peas on damp kitchen roll a few weeks ago, they have just gone outside in small pots. Didn't manage to sow any seeds last weekend but the grounds been cleared and my xmas spuds have arrived. Also potted up about 30 strawberry plants grown from seed, the white and yellow variety, hoping they'll be ready tp plant out in Sept for next year.    

27/07/2012 at 10:16

There was a chap called Tee Gee who used to post on the Beeb and who has a website which includes, amongst other things, a sowing and planting guide - http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Planners/Preamble.htm 

I am about to sow a second lot of spinach as the first has bolted in this heat, pak choi which bolts if sown earlier, carrots in a tub as they don't like my soil, beetroot and some more lettuce.  I have purple sprouting broccoli to go out and some cavolo nero babies too.    These two should do for winter with some protection.

1 to 20 of 23 messages