Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

It's a tab bit early to ask but...

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Ive tried for a few years growing them in bags, followed the advise and never harvested on Christmas eve for the grand parade on Christmas day, the bag has always been frozen...even after being taken into the GH when frost was expected ...image

I vowed never again...but couldn't walk past the Christmas spuds at a local nursery today...so bought 10 Carlingford seed potatoes, it's a 2nd early so if planted out this weekend will be ready by October time but can be left in the ground until the first real ground freezing frost...me thinks November..so not quite a Christmas harvest but the best here...

Is anyone else thinking of growing spuds for Christmas...     

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Me me me image I will be, my local GC told me they get special 'Christmas' spuds in around July time.  They told me if I plant them in bags and move into the GH when the frosts start this will make sure they are ok for Christmas.

Having said that, my first and second earlies aren't even ready yet and may be a complete disaster, in which case I may rethink Christmas spuds image 

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I wasn't going too but I really wanted to do something for the Christmas meal and with the vegetable plot a long way from being ready potatoes in bags might well be the way forward for this year! I'll keep an eye out at the local garden centres and if I spot some I'm sure I'll be tempted.

(This all depends on the greenhouses being dismantled / painted / slabs laid for the new base / erected / electricity supplied to one of them / my not filling them with over wintering chillies and other plants as this years are a little slow to get a move on...)

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

The area marked for Christmas spuds on the plot has been planted with leeks this evening, I had more leeks to plant out than I thought so me thinks I'll try again and plant in bags at home for the spuds image