London (change)
Today 14°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
9 messages
28/09/2012 at 09:50

We planted a James Grieve sappling in autum 2011 and have had a small crop of a dozen apples this year, but there doesn't seem to be any new growth on the tree at all, which has quite surprised us.

Question is, should it have grown at all, or is it because its the first year in the ground?

Another question is should we prune it this year to encourage growth next year?

We did actually lightly prune it in the winter, maybe we shouldn't have. Followed these instructions.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_september_2d_apple.asp

28/09/2012 at 10:33

It'll be because it's concentrating on putting down roots.

I personally don't prune mine unless it's getting too big, and it flowers and fruits well.

28/09/2012 at 10:38

I have had a similar problem with a Greensleeves variety which seems barely to have stayed alive this year since planting about 12 months ago. I think it's a drainage issue in my case... clay soil, wet Spring, slow drainage. I dug its hole well on a slight slope and added plenty of compost and bonemeal. I'm now considering digging it up, redigging the hole extensively with broken bricks etc too.

28/09/2012 at 23:26

I might leave that alone for another year to see what happens. If you do dig it up, check that your hole hasn't turned into a pond, with water draining into it and staying there.

04/12/2012 at 23:43

I WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE JAMES GRIEVE SAPLINGS.WHO SHOULD I CONTACT?MY E-MAIL JIMSMITH@JONESJUNCTION.COM    PLEASE REPLY.

05/12/2012 at 00:06

Jim, try not to type in upper case!  All nurseries which stock apple trees will sell James Grieve, it is a very well-known variety.

05/12/2012 at 10:43

And probably not the best idea to give out an e-mail address on a public forum for all to see??

05/12/2012 at 10:54

When I planted my fruit trees I read - RHS book- to take the blossom off the first year so that they concentrate on root growth and structure. It was sad pulling off the open blossoms. Last year, their 2nd year, I had blossom and a small crop of apples, no pears though, and they seem to be really well rooted and stong.

Because I am growing some as cordons and a couple as pyramid shape I do a late summer prune. I will cut off top when weather warms up in early spring from plum

05/12/2012 at 20:53

Like Alina, I generally leave mine alone and it has always done well - hope yours will too

email image
9 messages